SIGforum
Srewed up. Large Magnum Pistol primer ???

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/5050099674

November 26, 2020, 12:19 PM
mike56
Srewed up. Large Magnum Pistol primer ???
Getting ready to load some 45acp target loads.
4.2 Titegroup and 200 gr round nose lead.

Primed by hand, but I used CCI Large Pistol Magnum primers, #350, instead of #300.

Continue or de-prime them all?
November 26, 2020, 01:25 PM
maxwayne
If it is not a maximum load, you should be ok.
November 26, 2020, 02:45 PM
sourdough44
Yeah, that 4.2 ‘sounds’ mild. If so I would test a few, likely be just fine.

I see 4.8 to 5.4 on the Hodgdon site, Titegroup, 200 grain cast bullet. Better check that they cycle.
November 30, 2020, 01:19 PM
mike56
Shot them this morning. No issues.
Cycled fine, accurate. No additional flash or blast. Primers/cases looked ok.
November 30, 2020, 03:58 PM
92fstech
I've done this accidentally once before, and several times on purpose due to primer shortages. I've also employed magnum primers in loads where I was having difficulty getting complete primer burn, even with powders that don't officially require them (HS-6 in .38 special is an example). I've never once had a problem, or seen any significant velocity increase over a chronograph (although I did achieve improvements in consistency).

Has anyone ever considered just using magnum primers for everything? They are typically the same price, and it would greatly simplify logistics to only have to buy and stock one variety. The only loads I take anywhere near max levels are mag loads anyway...just wondering if anyone else's mind has wondered in that same direction.
December 01, 2020, 07:26 AM
sigcrazy7
I have Winchester primers that state “for standard or magnum loads” right on the box. I don’t think there’s really that much of a difference, especially in large pistol.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
December 01, 2020, 09:42 AM
92fstech
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I have Winchester primers that state “for standard or magnum loads” right on the box. I don’t think there’s really that much of a difference, especially in large pistol.

You're right....I'd forgotten about that, but I've seen those before as well.