SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Srewed up. Large Magnum Pistol primer ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Srewed up. Large Magnum Pistol primer ??? Login/Join 
posted
Getting ready to load some 45acp target loads.
4.2 Titegroup and 200 gr round nose lead.

Primed by hand, but I used CCI Large Pistol Magnum primers, #350, instead of #300.

Continue or de-prime them all?

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
If it is not a maximum load, you should be ok.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that 4.2 ‘sounds’ mild. If so I would test a few, likely be just fine.

I see 4.8 to 5.4 on the Hodgdon site, Titegroup, 200 grain cast bullet. Better check that they cycle.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot them this morning. No issues.
Cycled fine, accurate. No additional flash or blast. Primers/cases looked ok.

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've done this accidentally once before, and several times on purpose due to primer shortages. I've also employed magnum primers in loads where I was having difficulty getting complete primer burn, even with powders that don't officially require them (HS-6 in .38 special is an example). I've never once had a problem, or seen any significant velocity increase over a chronograph (although I did achieve improvements in consistency).

Has anyone ever considered just using magnum primers for everything? They are typically the same price, and it would greatly simplify logistics to only have to buy and stock one variety. The only loads I take anywhere near max levels are mag loads anyway...just wondering if anyone else's mind has wondered in that same direction.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have Winchester primers that state “for standard or magnum loads” right on the box. I don’t think there’s really that much of a difference, especially in large pistol.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I have Winchester primers that state “for standard or magnum loads” right on the box. I don’t think there’s really that much of a difference, especially in large pistol.

You're right....I'd forgotten about that, but I've seen those before as well.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post