SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Any reason not to buy Hornady 6.5C reloading dies?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any reason not to buy Hornady 6.5C reloading dies? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I've got some Cabela's gift cards to burn. Any reason not to buy the Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor Custom grade or Match Grade die set?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who uses them and likes them. He gave me a set as well. I have yet to try them.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have Lee, RCBS, & Hornady for the most part, fine for what I do.

When I want to treat myself I get Redding dies.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Nearly all of my dies are Hornady custom/match dies. I’ve never had a problem with any of them.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
They really are my favorite dies for the money. Yea, you can spend more for some quality specialized dies, but for my purposes, the quality of rifle ammo I produce makes me happy. The CM die has produced some very nice results, really easy to do in the 6.5.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I've got some Cabela's gift cards to burn. Any reason not to buy the Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor Custom grade or Match Grade die set?

Tony.

Maybe. All die manufacturers hone their dies to different dimensions. My experience with Hornady dies is their a little smaller in dimension compared to others like Forster, Redding, Whidden... RCBS dies are very small compared to the others. Suggest to simply measure a multi fired case at the body/shoulder junction and at the base or more commonly referred to as the .200 line. Ideally sized for a bolt rifle .001-.0015 at the body/shoulder, .0015-.002 at the base. Another .0005 for gassers. All die manufacturers will give you these dimension with a +/- disclaimer except for Redding. Redding will not give out their die dimensions. But if you tell them the fired dimension, they'll tell you if their die will properly size or not.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback I'll order a set.

Tony.

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Most all are very good.
Stick with what you are familiar with and I like to use the same brand for consistency.
I have some Hornady tools but mostly use Forster dies and Lee universal decapper.
Hornady dies will do you very well, though.

Posts: 22860 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Used my Cabela's gift cards to order the match grade die sets and 0.288 and 0.290 bushings.

Ordered the appropriate pilot for my ancient Forster case trimmer. Looks like I'm all set up for 6.5 now.

Tony.