SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    considering the .380
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

considering the .380 Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
I'm starting to like the .380 round, thought maybe I would give it a try since it cost about 18 dollars a box for blazer brass. I currently load 9 mm and .357 sig out of my 650, looks like I will need a conversion kit and some dies.

How many are also doing this cartridge? any help would be great.

Thanks

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I load for two LCP's and my P238. Of course the P238 is the most pleasant to shoot, but LCPs have their place.

My plinking rounds are 90 grain plated RN. The more carry type are Gold Dot bullets.

My favorite powder for the 380 is Win 231(HP-38). One will see it mentioned again & again in the reloading manuals.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have loaded a shit load of that on the 550.
Can be painful on setting bullet on that case,when you got fat fingers Wink

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been loading 380 brass for a long time now. I have two different loads.

(1) a near min. load for my blowback 380 handguns. It makes shooting them much more comfortable.

(2) a full factory equivalent load for my locked breech 380 handguns.

I load either 95gr RN FMJ, or plated 100gr RN bullets. They both work just fine for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GT-40DOC,

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I bought a P232 when the wife and i were dating. While dating i only shot it a few times expecting it to be my summer carry.

Since getting married I've shot it a lot more with the wife.

I really did like that gun and wish they were still being produce. Frown

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have load a lot of rounds, its a great round to shoot.

Posts: 122 | Registered: October 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt .380 Gov't, Bersa Thunder .380, and two Sig P238's. Since I don't shoot a lot of .380 ammo I choose one load that performs well in them all. I prefer Hornady 90 gr. XTP-hp with AA#2 powder at near maximum from Accurate's web site using CCI 500 primers. My AA#2 load shoots the same as factory Hornady 90 XTP. I load on single stage presses and prefer Hornady's .380 die set with the sliding alignment sleeve seating die. Takes the tiny bullets from your finger and guides it into the case. I also have an RCBS set that's excellent. Don't know how the Hornady seater would work in progressive press? I usually carry with Hornady Custom .380 or American Gunner 380. My 90gr.XTP handload shoot to same point of impact as factory and makes things simpler than various bullets and weight for plinking and another for carry.

Posts: 112 | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have loaded hundreds of .380 with a 95 gr. FMJ and a medium amount of Universal.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot my 380's a lot, the most reloading for them I do is my 380 shotshells, I use on snakes.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
My least favorite round to reload. It's not bad if you on a AP where you don't have to handle the small cases. But on a SS it's a pain. Then you dealing with a charge weight that may only have a spread of 0.3gr. Not much room for error. Othe4r than that it loads just like any other cartridge.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got a Beretta 84, and looking at the cost of .380, am starting to think about reloading. What sort of equipment investment am I looking at? If I shoot 100-200 rounds per month, then I'd like to know how cost effective it would be.

I also have 5 kids, so a setup that is massively labor intensive is kind of out of the question.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Boston:
I just got a Beretta 84, and looking at the cost of .380, am starting to think about reloading. What sort of equipment investment am I looking at? If I shoot 100-200 rounds per month, then I'd like to know how cost effective it would be.

I also have 5 kids, so a setup that is massively labor intensive is kind of out of the question.

See the stickys above.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
My 380's are about $6.50 a box of 50 to reload.
Bullets are cheap to ship vs 45's and the availability is 100% for me - I have a Pico and a Walther 380 and both are fun to shoot if the ammo is the right price - Using the Lee 380 - 4 die set -

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
380 Is expensive ammo compared to other service rounds. If you shoot one enough to justify a 650 setup, then you'll pay for it in short order. Me, I am not a fan of pocket guns in sub service caliber. My floor is 9mm & the ammo is cheaper too, though the cost to reload is almost identical.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I bought the conversion for my 550 and have loaded probably 1500 rds so far. With free range brass and plated bullets, it's FAR cheaper practice ammo than most factory .380 ammo. So you recoup the conversion cost quickly.

Myself and two friends have G-42's. Allows for a lot of shooting fairly cheap. Unlike my old Walther PPK/s the G-42 has been 100% reliable so far. Can't say the same for the Walther.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have bought a conversion kit and .380 dies for my 650. 1000 pieces of once fired brass, and 1000 plated boolits.

Will post in a few days how it went.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several .380 pistols including a newly purchased SIG 238HD. I just finished running off 250 rounds for it. I find it very easy to load for and much cheaper to shoot than buying ammo. Mine seems to like heavier bullets so I go with the Berry's 100 grain RN-HB plated. I also go with coated bullets from time to time in this caliber.

Posts: 7 | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
I didn't set out to load a lot of .380, but I ended up shooting frequently with my G42, so it does save a good bit over buying factory ammo. Once in a while I'll shoot the P232, LCP, and Beretta 84BB, so it helps with those too.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My order from TJ Conevera's came in, 1000 JHP's and 1000 processed brass. This brass looks good, and so do the boolits.

Loaded up 50 95gr JHP's with 3.1gr of HP-38 and went to the range to see how my two .380's liked them. It was a success! All rounds functioned, and shot well through my Sig P232, and Ruger LCP.

I had no problems loading those little pills, guess my fingers are not as fat as mah belly! Cool

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chinaclipper
posted Hide Post
I have always struggled with my Sig P232 and ammo.
It really prefers Federal Hydroshoks (the originals) and chokes frequently on others. I am convinced that it is OAL. What was your OAL when you load the .380 for the Sig P232?
95g JHP bullet, I was using 231 if I recall as a powder.....

Posts: 195 | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post