SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    AR15’s and light bullets. What powders are you using? Update from the range.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR15’s and light bullets. What powders are you using? Update from the range. Login/Join 
posted
I have a AR 15 I have made that is the old Vietnam style (601 type) that has a 1x9 twist government style new copy barrel. I know the originals had 1x12 and the real early ones had 1x14. I also have an original AR15 carbine with a .223 chamber and 1x12 twist in the barrel.

Anyway, they shoot 55 grain bullets using TAC powder very well. I picked up some Sierra 52 grain match bullets and want to see if those make even better and smaller groups. Wondering if I should stick with TAC or does anyone here have a powder they have had good luck with and these light bullets? I have read the X-Terminator does well with lighter bullets.

What say you and thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 357fuzz,

Posts: 4028 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Tac is what I use for the 52/53 gr SMK bullets. No reason to change, unless you want to try something else.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of A2230/X-Terminator (same powder) in my AR15s using 55 grain bullets. 24.5 grains. I like 2230 so much I purchased 50lbs of it last year when it was on sale for $118 for 8 lb.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
I shoot 52gr Speer or Hornady hollow points with IMR 4895 in my varmint rifle and easily get 1/2" or less groups at 100yrds. That is all I use even in a very nice 8MM Mauser. That powder has been around for ever but is very versatile.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/rKtLCLBj/1-E11-C591-5-D3-C-45-FA-9-AB8-89649-CC8380-D.jpg"> [/IMG]

posted Hide Post
Well, finally got out the range to try it out.

I used .223 brass, CCI small rifle primers, 52 grain Sierra Varmiters, and X-Terminator powder. I did not adjust the sights. I just wanted to see how 10 rounds would group with different charge weights. I used a lollipop hold on the white bullseye. I think it likes the 23.5 grain payload the best. I was just using a sandbag rest on the fore end with me seated at a bench.

I used load data from the Sierra manual utilizing the section for the AR-15.

posted Hide Post
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

This was the bullet launcher I built. Wanted it to look early Vietnam.

Old Colt SP1 upper attached to a Nodak slabside lower. Fulton Armory repro slick slide chromed BCG, original stock, fore end, and grip, original 3 print flash hider, original small little triangle charging handle, original rear sight along with the original round not squared front sight post, and Del-Ton 1x9 twist pencil barrel.