SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Reloading 357 sig and 40 S&W
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading 357 sig and 40 S&W Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted
What dies do you guys recommend? All brass will be from my pistols not range brass. Will be setting up my old Lee Turret press. What steps are necessary for the 357 sig? Will not be reloading large numbers in either caliber.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
In my experience you either need to pony up for the Dillon carbide 357sig die set, or else size with both a 40s&w die and then the 357sig die.

I opted for the latter as I already had 40s&w dies. Just gotta handle the brass twice as much.
As I don't shoot much 357sig, I don't mind.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent the extra bucks on the Dillon dies and for good reason. I'm loading on a XL 650. I started off with both Lee and RCBS 357 Sig dies and had issues with case neck tension and some other inconsistencies. I was not willing to experiment and chalked it up to die differences

The Dillon have been flawless.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I load my 357 sig like C-Dubs. Size with .40 first, then the .357. My .40 dies are Lee, and the .357 dies are RCBS. I load cast 135 grain powder coated bullets, sized at .358, and have no problem with neck tension.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I use a Redding "de-bulge" 40S&W die on both cartridges as never know what could accidentally show up in my brass. This is particularly important if the brass came from a less supported barrel (Glock). Maybe you won't have that issue but it's cheap insurance for problem free feeding.
I then run the 357 SIG through a Hornady 40S&W carbide sizing die and set aside in marked containers.

Other than that everything goes through the progressive press as usual through Hornady dies. I had used Lee dies in the past and they were fine too.

As mentioned, I'd stay away from the RCBS 357 SIG dies. I had all sorts of feeding problems with them, and tried some Lee dies as a last resort and they worked fine. Something about RCBS sizing off the mouth vs. eveyone else sizing shoulder or something like that. Also use as little bell on the mouth as possible on the 357 SIG. Bullet set back is a risk with the round.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
dillion carbide dies thru my 650, bullets and bullet seating depth matter there are many threads on this just do a search.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Any dies but the RCBS for 357sig, they never got it right. I prefer Dillon, only carbide ones, but if not loading on a progressive, you would need an expander/flare die.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do both on a Lee turret with Lee dies just stay away from speers brass its a pain to decap it has a small flash hole . It broke the decaping pin sanded down new pin but now just toss speers 357 sig brass.

Posts: 9 | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
What Fred said.

I use Dillon carbide dies on my 550b.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dillon dies on my 650. I'll use RCBS dies on a Rock Chucker to make maybe 20 or so rounds for testing. I've read so much about bullet setback in a 357 SIG, that I was almost afraid to bell the case mouth. I do it very slightly. I had some bad primers last week and had to pull them with my kinetic bullet puller and it took some effort to get them out.

Posts: 52 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Received my Lee dies and dug out my old Lee turret. Loaded one round of 357. Resized with 40 die then 357 die. Belled case just enough to start bullet. Seated to a depth of 1.125. Crimped slightly. Cannot push bullet back in case with lots of pressure. Loaded round chambers same as a factory round. Now need to check how round cycles slide.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you’ve got everything going correctly.

What bullet and powder did you settle on?

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
115 gr with the longer straight sides from RMR and HS6 to start with.