SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    300 Blackout Reloading Discussion
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout Reloading Discussion Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C Swimm:
Got my 240gr SMKs today. Boy are they long. I am going to call my 300 Blackout rifle the "Spear Chucker". LOL.

220gr is the largest I have loaded and I was shocked at how big they are. When shot they are like a freight train. They are very accurate but plow all the way through anything in their path.

quote:
Originally posted by C Swimm:
I went to a local gun shop and picked up 2 more pounds of AA1680 powder where I got that one pound last week.

For my rifle with a pistol gas system when shooting subsonic bullets, AA1680 is REQUIRED to cycle the bolt. I tried Lil' Gun and it is accurate but it just doesn't have the gas volume that AA1680 has to reliably cycle the bolt every time. I can use Lil' Gun loaded subsonic bullets if my gun has just been cleaned and they are the first bullets I fire.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Ugh. I'm so jealous that you guys can find 1680 on the shelves. No such luck round these parts...

I have gotten my whole 3# in 1# increments over the last 6 months. It is hard to find around here too.

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
Dang, now you guys got me thinking about going back and getting the other 3 pounds.

I wish I could find some 220gr SMKs or 230gr Bergers around here.

-Chris

... if the people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the laws then they will conclude that neither are they. -Michael Cannon, CATO Institute.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Pvi had 220 smks when I looked earlier. 500 CT boxes for $193.

Not sure if they have the Bergers in Stock, but if they do, they'll be the cheapest source..

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
FYI - PVI still has 220's for $193.50, and they also have 240's for $243.34.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: exx1976,

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know if I can imagine how much time it would take me to turn it into 300 BLK. As much as I think I would enjoy doing it myself, I'm sure it must get incredibly tedious, and it might just be worth it to me to buy it from these guys.

It is tedious and a pain but I had to do it until I was finally able to get some 300BLK brass. Now I have a pretty good amount and keep stocking up my 5.56 brass to either convert someday or for when I start reloading 5.56.

I am meeting a seller tomorrow to pick up some pistol primers for reloading 9mm and he just let me know he has 8# of AA1680 if I want it so I am going to grab it since I only have about 2.5# currently.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
I don't know if I can imagine how much time it would take me to turn it into 300 BLK. As much as I think I would enjoy doing it myself, I'm sure it must get incredibly tedious, and it might just be worth it to me to buy it from these guys.

It is tedious and a pain but I had to do it until I was finally able to get some 300BLK brass. Now I have a pretty good amount and keep stocking up my 5.56 brass to either convert someday or for when I start reloading 5.56.

I am meeting a seller tomorrow to pick up some pistol primers for reloading 9mm and he just let me know he has 8# of AA1680 if I want it so I am going to grab it since I only have about 2.5# currently.

Oh what I wouldn't give for someone to be like "Hey, when you come to pick this up, I also have...."

Bah. That crap never happens to me. Frown

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
8 pounds. I haven't seen any 1680 in over a year.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
8 pounds. I haven't seen any 1680 in over a year.

I wish I could transport some with me next week for you.

Exx1976, It doesn't happen to me usually either but I guess I got lucky.

Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
With all these posts about not being able to find 1680, I went back today and got another 3 pounds of it. Wish I could send some to you guys that need it. He had several more bottles of it.

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Find out if the shop will ship and give me their info.. I'll gladly pay hazmat...

Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip on PVI and the 220gr SMKs. Only ordered 200 from them since I also ordered 500 pieces of fully processed 300BLK brass.

Then today Midsouth Shooters Supply got some 220gr SMKs in stock as well as some 125gr flat base SMKs as well. I went ahead and ordered 300 more of the 220gr.

So that makes 500 pieces of brass and 500 220gr SMKs on the way to me now. I just put in for Friday off at work so I will have a 4 day weekend. Anyone want to guess what I will be doing?

-Chris

... if the people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the laws then they will conclude that neither are they. -Michael Cannon, CATO Institute.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Pvi also has 125gr flat base smks. Their price on the 500 ct box is lower than I've seen elsewhere. 143 or 148, something like that.

Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
Ok, 200 220gr SMKs showed up from power valley today, and 300 of them showed up yesterday from Midsouth. Now if those 500 pcs of brass I ordered I could start working up some loads. Tracking says they should be here tomorrow. Was hoping to load today and shoot tomorrow.

Got 3 pounds of AA1680 on hand and about 4000 CCI 400 primers. Just need that brass and I am all ready to go.

-Chris

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Where did you buy brass from?

Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where did you buy brass from?

From a guy in Tennessee selling them on another forum. Since he is in the same state, I thought it might help them get here faster, but I guess I was wrong.

Here is a comparison shot of the bullets.

From left to right: 240gr SMK, 220gr SMK, 185gr Berger OTM, and 175gr SMK.

308 bullets by c.swimm, on Flickr

-Chris

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Holy crap. Does the boat tail of the 240 touch the primer??

Talk about being balls deep.. LOL

Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
It almost looks like it should have fins on the tail. It will be like shooting spears out of my rifle.

-Chris

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
The 220gr freaked me out at first with how big it was, but that 240 is crazy big!! Eek

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Ok.. Anyone that has read any of my reloading threads for any amount of time probably knows I'm against plated bullets. Why? They cost the same (or even sometimes MORE) than FMJ bullets, for no increase in accuracy, and an increase in cleaning (at least in my pistols). Since I can get FMJ for within a few dollars (in some cases a few dollars LESS) the cost of plated, the extra cleaning didn't seem like a benefit in my mind.

UNTIL NOW.

http://www.xtremebullets.com/3...c308-150fp-b0500.htm

150gr flat point .308 bullets. $57.79 per 500. Use cost 15offbullet at checkout for 15% off.

Seriously?

I can get 1000 bullets for $98.25 SHIPPED?! How can I not at least try these things? Hell, if if they are only minute of soda can at 50 yards, that will make them plenty fun enough.

Also, since you shouldn't drive them over 1500fps, I wonder about using them for subsonic loadings?

Not sure when I'll get around to ordering some, but figured someone on here might want to know about them.