SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    300 Blackout Reloading Discussion
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout Reloading Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
I did not chrono them. I verified they would not tumble out of my gun before I put my suppressor on. It would not cycle the action that way, but does when I put my suppressor on it.

I'm using an 8.2" Noveske upper with an SDN-6

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by argolfer:
I did not chrono them. I verified they would not tumble out of my gun before I put my suppressor on. It would not cycle the action that way, but does when I put my suppressor on it.

I'm using an 8.2" Noveske upper with an SDN-6

Perfect. That exactly what my rifle will be when I get my stamps back. The barrel got here Wednesday, and is sitting on my dining room table. Smile

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
Cool. Here is my setup for now. It's on another SBR'd lower that I have as I'm still waiting on my Noveske lower to get back from Ident - any day now, I hope.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
That looks niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Mine is just the Noveske barrel (8.2" w/gas block and tube).

The upper, lower, and rail are all Seekins Billet. I'm doing a 12" rail though, I like the look of the partially hidden can.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
I really like the Seekins stuff. I would really like to get one of their lowers. I may take this upper off my DDLES lower if I do get one.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
That's the same handguard I'm using, too. But 12".

The lower is off at Ident right now. When I get it all back I'll mock it up and take a couple pics. Smile

Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
I loaded my first super sonic rounds yesterday. I used Lil'gun for the powder and Berger 115gr HPFB bullets.

I chose Lil'gun because it showed the highest velocity of the other powders but with lower chamber pressures. I was wondering why then they didn't push them faster then. I figured out why when I did my loads. That much powder 20.5gr max really fills the case up. I'm not sure i could get any more in there if I wanted to.

Have others noticed this with this powder. What about some of the other popular powders for super sonic 300BLK loads?

-Chris

... if the people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the laws then they will conclude that neither are they. -Michael Cannon, CATO Institute.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I use 296 under a 125smk.

Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I use 5744 with 150gr pro hunters or hornady SP.

I also have some 110gr Varmageddons I haven't tried yet.

You can use 1680 on light stuff and run around 1600-1800fps.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
I'm going to save the AA1680 for my Subs. I got 3 lbs of Lil'Gun so I'll see how it does. I've got 200 of the Berger 115gr HPFB to load. The first 50 ar in this initial test batch.

I did 10 rounds each of 20.5, 20.3, 20.1, 19.9, and 19.7 grains. Hopefully I'll find the right load in this batch then I will load the other 150 of them with that load.

Next will be some Speer 125gr TNT (HPFB) bullets. I have 600 of these. I hope they shoot well as they are fairly inexpensive.

-Chris

... if the people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the laws then they will conclude that neither are they. -Michael Cannon, CATO Institute.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I apparently bought some 4100 for this purpose too. I haven't tried it yet.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
I tested the 115gr Berger HPFB bullets with my Lil'gun loads yesterday at 50 meters. All loads from the 19.7gr to 20.5gr had a bit too much velocity spread. All had rounds going from the 2220's to some just over 2300's FPS with most hovering the the 2280's to 2300 fps.

The best grouping was with 20.5gr. It gave me about an inch at 50 meters.I was using an Aimpoint pro with 2MOA dot so a group this size is about the best to be hoped for. This load gave me the best SD of 23 out of all the groups which is to say none of them had outstanding consistancy. It also gave me the highest average velocity of 2290. I was hoping to get to 2400 but low 2300's was the best I saw.

20.5gr of Lil'gun powder fills the case up just into the neck. I don't see how you could get any more powder in there if you wanted too.

I went ahead and loaded the last 150 of these bullets I had, and probably won't get them again. The Bergers are just a bit too pricey for this kind of performance. Unless they somehow do fantastic at longer ranges. I will use these 150 to test them at various ranges just to see what they are capable of. Since this isn't really enough to do much else with.

Next up will be the Speer TNT 125gr HPFB bullets. These are much more economical in the 600 piece boxes. They supposedly have thin jackets that are pre-scored inside and have soft lead cores. This should make them good for hunting and self defense if they expand easily at lower than 308 velocities.

-Chris

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Scored some more 1680 today. Going to start cranking out my own subs to use with the Remington.

Still playing with the supersonic loads as well. Finally came up with a load that didn't show puddling on the primer but Im still experimenting.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
The 125gr Speer TNT HPFB bullets did pretty well. With just a little over published max powder charge of Lil'gun I was able to get them to average around 2300fps out of my 14.5" AR barrel. I only shot them at 25 meters to chrono them, but they grouped well and were all stable. I think this will be my go to bullet for 300BLK super sonic loads. Since they do reasonably well, and are pretty economical.

I also loaded up a few 220gr Nosler HPBT bullets at the same recipe as my 220gr SMKs to see if they would perform the same. Velocities and accuracy were pretty much on par with the SMK's so I will buy either one from now on. I did notice that when loading the bullets, I didn't get as much resistance when seating these as I did the SMKs. I think this has more to do with the brass though as the guy I got it from has started using a Lyman M die in his process. I thought his earlier batch required a lot of force to seat, so I guess this is better. I did take my calipers to the Nosler bullets and they came in at around .3065" average after measuring a few.

Results were good though so I am not complaining. I ran 10 through the chrono unsuppressed and 10 suppresses. Both times they cycled fine and velocities were what I was expecting. Suppressed fire was quiet with no over gassing noticed from ejection port. Cycled the action well and locked the bolt back on last shot. So I loaded up the other 480 rounds of them last night. I need to get some more brass so I can load the other 450 of these Speer TNT bullets too.

-Chris

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
If you need brass, drop me an email and we can work something out. I have several thousand pieces of freshly converted, annealed Lake city.

Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I'll have to give those Speers a whirl.

Has anyone tried the 110gr Varmageddon bullets? I bought 100 but haven't loaded any up yet.

Banned
posted Hide Post
Exx- you are the man! I am trying to get to 500 to load in one batch and running out of lc. Still looking for decent priced supply to buy bulk and convert.

Posts: 248 | Location: MN | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prudence:
Exx- you are the man! I am trying to get to 500 to load in one batch and running out of lc. Still looking for decent priced supply to buy bulk and convert.

If you're looking to buy bulk LC and roll your own, I have a source for LC at $70/k plus shipping. Drop me an email if you need the contact info.

ETA: Or, you can keep an eye on this: http://www.evergladesammo.com/...ass-1000-pieces.html

I bought 2k several months back when it was at $50/k. I still haven't gotten into it yet since I had so much regular LC sitting around (I still have a full 5-gallon bucket that's been cleaned, sized, swaged, and trimmed, just needs chamfer/debur), but for converting to 300BLK, blanks work just fine - you're cutting the rose crimped neck off anyway.

Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I just loaded up some 110gr Varmageddons with A4100. I will let you guys know how it goes. Loaded at 17.4, 17.6, 18, 18.6, and 19.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Im going to load up some 110's tonight (Hornady A-max) and shoot them on Sunday. loading with lil gun and H110 I have on hand.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post