SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    300 Blackout Reloading Discussion
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout Reloading Discussion Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
Thanks Stormin. I had read that the Remington 7.5's were "magnum" and saw that on a primer chart as well. The box says bench rest, so....

Out of curiosity why the different crimp instead of using the #4 position on the 550?

So I have always been using CCI 400 primers and the load for my Sierra 220gr using Hogdon Lil' Gun is:

Hornady 300BLK Brass
CCI 400 Small Rifle Primer
8.6gr Hodgdon lilgun
2.120" OAL
Medium crimp on Lee FCD

This was a load that is very accurate, but would only cycle my bolt suppressed. When I tried AA1680 it was also very accurate and cycled the bolt suppressed or unsuppressed.

Today I tested out some of this Lil Gun load with the Sierra 220gr bullet and the only thing I changed was that I now used a Rimington 7.5 primer and it would not cycle my bolt even suppressed. The rounds were accurate but would not cycle my bolt.

I have heard you are suppossed to lower your load 10% when using a magnum primer, but I assummed that was so you would not have too much pressure. I don't understand why with this primer it would not cycle my bolt. I guess I am going to have to work up the load again with this primer to find what load will cycle the bolt.

I wonder if the Remington 7.5 really isn't more powerful than a CCI 400 or if for some reason the magnum primer is not igniting all of the powder.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
That's bizarre. I would not have thought a primer change would have done that much.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's bizarre. I would not have thought a primer change would have done that much.

Yes, I am pretty confused myself. I have used CCI 400 and new Remington primed brass with this load and it worked fine with both; I wish I knew what primer the Remington primed brass used. I am going to have to figure out a load for this primer now.

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I emailed Remington and heard back from them today; they use their 7.5 primer in the primed 300BLK brass they sell. I think the problem is the Hornady unprimed cases I bought.

Lake City formed brass with CCI 400 - Cycled bolt
Remington new 300BLK primed brass - Cycled bolt
Hornady 300BLK brass with Rem 7.5 - Did not cycle bolt

I will try reforming the Hornady brass and use the 7.5 primer again and see if that fixes it. It is really the only thing I can think could be the problem. The case shoulder is just a little bit higher than Remington and my formed brass, but I am not sure if that is enough to cause a problem, but we will see.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Could be a bad batch of primers too I guess.

Ill be interested to see if reforming that brass fixes the issue.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
OK, so today I went out and tested the Sierra 220gr OTM loaded with different brass and primer combinations since I had a problem with my bolt cycling with new Hornady 300BLK brass and a Remington 7.5 primer. I think my gun was just very dirty and that was the cause of the no cycling because it cycled fine today. Below are the velocities I was getting from the different combinations.

With my gun, Lil' Gun will only cycle the bolt suppressed with this round. AA1680 will cycle it suppressed or unsuppressed.
Noveske 300 BLK
10" barrel/ 1:7 twist
H2 Buffer

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Today I also tested the velocities on the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX:

Bullet Brand Barnes
Bullet Weight 110gr
Bullet Type TAC-TX

Powder Type H110
Powder Charge 19.0gr

Case Brand Remington 300BLK
Times Fired New

Primer Brand Remington
Primer Type 7.5

OAL 2.250"
Crimp 1/2 light

Suppressor Used Yes
Suppressor Type AAC 762-SDN-6

Date 8/16/2013
Temperature (F) 90
Humidity 34%
Dist. From Muzzle 10ft
Barrel Length 10"
Gas System Pistol

Low Velocity 2120
High Velocity 2194
Avg Velocity 2142
Extreme Spread 73.42
Standard Deviation 22.82

Individual Shots
1 2130
2 2123
3 2132
4 2134
5 2131
6 2166
7 2152
8 2194
9 2120
10 2136

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Excellent data on the subsonics. Looks like the CCI400 primers are the way to go with those.

Im still looking for 1680 powder...

On the supersonic loads are you having to compact the powder?

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the supersonic loads are you having to compact the powder?

At 19.0gr it seems like it is getting close but I don't think that it is actually compacting it any. Max load is around 20.0gr and I had started loosing accuracy after going over 19.0gr. 19.0gr was extremely accurate for me.

I still need to do a load work up on the Hornady 110gr V-Max.

I am also now trying to learn annealing brass and buidling my own setup.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Ive got a few thousand .45 rounds left to crank out and Ill get back to working up loads for my .300...

I picked up an ammo can of old 30.06 surplus for plinking. Im hoping the brass is good enough to reload and Ill start working up hunting loads. For this years hunt Im going to use my factory 150's.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ive got a few thousand .45 rounds left to crank out and Ill get back to working up loads for my .300...

I picked up an ammo can of old 30.06 surplus for plinking. Im hoping the brass is good enough to reload and Ill start working up hunting loads. For this years hunt Im going to use my factory 150's.

I did some good velocity testing done yesterday before my bird passed away and I will post the results as soon as I feel up to it; it was on the Hornady 208gr A-Max and Sierra 125gr OTM.

I also am starting to try and get components to reload 9mm. I already have the Redding die set and picked up some pistol primers this weekend at the Austin Gun Show.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Here is the velocity data I got from shooting Hornady 208gr A-Max subsonic through my rifle with both Lil' Gun and A1680. Lil' Gun seems a little more stable, but in an AR platform like mine it WILL NOT cycle the bolt unsuppressed but functions fine suppressed. I need to reduce the powder load a little with the Lil' Gun and see how its accuracy is since it was just a little bit above subsonic.

The load with A1680 will function fine suppressed or unsuppressed and both were very accurate.

Here is the load data:

Here is a picture of the target; the upper rounds were unsuppressed and the lower rounds were suppressed:

Since I don't have any wet phone books or ballistic gel yet, I decided to shoot some through a log of wood and it appears the bullet jacket lodges into the wood while the lead core deforms but continues through. These are pictures of ones I recovered that went through the log; one bullet skimmed the bottom and did not expand. I would say these would have a good hunting affect even at subsonic velocities.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Here are the velocities I got out of the Sierra 125gr OTM. I will try to put together a summary thread of each load with velocities but I still want to try out different primers.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Interesting results on the 208gr. I need to do the same with my 220's once I get a batch of them made up.

I honestly don't expect to varmint hunt with the suppressor and the heavy bullets. More the light bullets for distance and the medium bullets for small game, pigs and perhaps whitetail deer.

Vaudeville Villain
Picture of ViktorVaughn
posted Hide Post
Loaded and shot my first reloads this weekend!

Once fired Remington factory brass
Rem 7.5 small rifle primers
10.8 grains of A1680
220gr Sierra Match King

1.358 Trim length
2.120 OAL (edited)
Factory crimp

Loaded on a Lee Classic Press

Shot better than the Remington factory subs! I don't have a chronograph nor do I have a range that I could use one but they all stayed subsonic and sounded great w/ my YHM .30 cal can. And they held the bolt open with and without suppressor. Rifle is an AAC 9" factory upper on SBR lower.

Thanks to those that posted in this thread. I learned a lot and will continue to reference the info in it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ViktorVaughn,

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Pine cones go in here. Party liquors come out here, and proceed to here. Fights begin, fingerprints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated." - Early Cuyler

Posts: 3435 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: April 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ViktorVaughn:
Loaded and shot my first reloads this weekend!

Once fired Remington factory brass
Rem 7.5 small rifle primers
10.8 grains of A1680
220gr Sierra Match King

1.358 Trim length
2.150 OAL
Factory crimp

Loaded on a Lee Classic Press

Shot better than the Remington factory subs! I don't have a chronograph nor do I have a range that I could use one but they all stayed subsonic and sounded great w/ my YHM .30 cal can. And they held the bolt open with and without suppressor. Rifle is an AAC 9" factory upper on SBR lower.

Thanks to those that posted in this thread. I learned a lot and will continue to reference the info in it.

Excellent. Yeah I need to load some more 220gr with A1680 and run it through the chronograph; I have check it loaded with Lil' Gun.

The load I liked with A1680 for my rifle with the Sierra 220gr was with 10.9gr with a cartridge OAL of 2.089". Also 10.8gr was good at an OAL of 2.120" I may try your OAL to see how that shoots in my rifle. I may just load 10 rounds at all three OALs and compare velocities and accuracy.

I don't have much A1680 so I am saving that for subsonic hunting/defensive loads and using Lil' Gun for plinking loads.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Im still looking for some damn 1680 powder.

I took the 30.06 and the .300 out this weekend. Just shot the 150gr loads I had for the .300. Still grouped well at 100 yards and rings steel at 200 and 300 just fine.

The 30.06 was off a tick but a few clicks left and down and I was right dead center.

Vaudeville Villain
Picture of ViktorVaughn
posted Hide Post
@ Stormin Normin, just an fyi, the way I came up with my target OAL was I measured all my subs from like 6 different sources and I replicated the OAL from the source that I deemed best. I have subs from Doubletap, Remington, PNW, PWS, someplace else, and reloads from a guy on a classified ad in another forum. The reloads were more accurate, consistent and cleaner burning than any of the factory ammo! So I made every effort to replicate (steal Razz) his formula.

@ TKO, I know what you mean. 1680 is like hen's teeth right now.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Pine cones go in here. Party liquors come out here, and proceed to here. Fights begin, fingerprints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated." - Early Cuyler

Posts: 3435 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: April 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vaudeville Villain
Picture of ViktorVaughn
posted Hide Post
You know what I just checked my notes and my OAL was 2.120, like yours. I edited my post upstream to reflect that.

Here are the OALs of various factory subs (however not know the powder charge makes this info less relevant)...

Double Tap 240gr: 2.247
PNW 220gr: 2.091
PWS 220gr: 2.197
Remington 220gr: 2.068

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ViktorVaughn:
You know what I just checked my notes and my OAL was 2.120, like yours. I edited my post upstream to reflect that.

Ah OK. Yeah I had sucess with that same load.