SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    300 Blackout Reloading Discussion
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout Reloading Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of BWTAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Interesting. I didn't realize it was that much shorter than a 223 case.

I got my lower built last weekend on my AR I'm going to use for 300BLK. Having some trouble deciding what to do about the upper. Complete upper about 4 to 6 months out. Parts to build an upper scarce as hell.

http://www.impactguns.com/impsearch.aspx?q=uppers

Posts: 1872 | Registered: April 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Took vacation this week and loaded up a few hundred rounds of Barnes Tac-TX 110gr Black Tip. I have so much reloading to do, but not enough time.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
So...

After getting my SBR stamp and my two 762-SDN-6 stamps Saturday, I've assembled my SBR (mostly - can't put the handguard on yet).

Loaded up 5 rounds each of

All 220gr SMK, AA1680, CCI 41 primers, converted LC brass, 2.12" OAL

I'm going to go chrono at the range this afternoon and see what I get. If I need to drop the charge even more, at least the range is only 5 minutes from home.

Picking up my two cans tomorrow morning, so I want to make sure I have some ammo at the ready!!

I started loading some 220 SMK's and was loading to a COL of 2.26, but noticed a lot of you guys loading int he 2.1 range. How do you decide what COL to start with?

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
2.26 doesn't fit the mag very well with the more blunt profile of the 220. I based my COL on posts here, as well as data from 300blktalk.

Now, it works, so iI don't feel compelled to change it.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
Thanks exx. They are a pretty close fit, but the do fit in my magazine. I may shorten them just a little to give me a little more peace of mind.

Just to make sure I understand this correctly… everything else being equal, a shorter length will increase velocity correct? Because there will be less case volume which will increase pressure?

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Well.... The correct answer to your question, for rifle rounds, is "it depends". Too short, and too much gas will escape around the bullet before it seals the bore. Usually, pressure increases in rifle rounds come from loading the bullet so it touches the lands when it is chambered.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Anybody tried these yet?

http://www.blackoutbrass.com/p...ts/203gr-projectiles

203gr polymer-coated boat tail flat point cast projectiles.

$70/500, $125/1k, $200/2k.

Buying 2k brings the price to $.10 per bullet. That puts shooting subsonic blackout in the pistol category in terms of cost. I'm really intrigued. They've gotten some good reviews elsewhere, but figured I'd ask here with folks I trust before ordering 10k of them. LOL

Acme Rocket Scientist
Picture of finklea73
posted Hide Post
Exx1976, be careful with blackoutbrass.com. Some over at 300blktalk.com have had bad experiences with them.

Draw your own conclusion, just don't want to see you get ripped off.

now, if you do decide to take the risk, let us know your results! I thought about buying some also :P

Posts: 402 | Registered: December 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Woohoo! Stickied! Thanks Para!

As for my work.. 245gr cast coated bullets from Missouri bullet Co. Brinnel hardness of 20, designed for subsonic loads.

I loaded some up and chrono'd.

11.7gr 1680
2.120" coal
Lake city brass
Cci ar primers

Average velocity at 20* and 1000' ASL 1040ish. That's a little faster than I want, so I'm going to load at 11.5gr and call it good.

By way of comparison, I also chrono'd some of my 220smk loads today.

11.4gr 1680
2.120" coal
LC brass
Cci ar primers

Same temp & altitude, about 980fps.

For anyone wanting cheap subsonic loads, go get some of the MBC bullets. $160/k plus shipping is more than the 203s or whatever that I was considering before, but for peace of mind with the vendor (you guys spooked me), I'll pay it. Plus they are heavier, so they should cost more. But the more important thing for me is that they are WAY cheaper than the $400/k I was spending for 220 smks.

The rifle in question is an 8" 1:8 sbr with a 762-sdn-6. All testing done with can on (after I verified the bullets were stable, of course).

All functions as normal with both loads above.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: exx1976,

Picture of SeattleDude
posted Hide Post
I am gearing up for 300BLK

Looks like AA1680 is as hard to get as Varget huh.

Well ill start with Forster dies and go from there.

I still need to decide to what barrel to build my 300blk around.

Posts: 611 | Location: W.WA | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speer 125gr TNT HP
17.6 Lilgun
Primer CCI Small Rifle
2.060 COL

Sierra 150gr HPBT MK
19.4 Accurate 1680
Primer CCI Small Rifle
2.150 COL

These two shoot real well.

Posts: 17 | Registered: November 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeattleDude
posted Hide Post
Can you guys tell what powder this is?

It came loaded in 300BLK with 220gr bullet.

Posts: 611 | Location: W.WA | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Acme Rocket Scientist
Picture of finklea73
posted Hide Post
quote:
245gr cast coated bullets from Missouri bullet Co. Brinnel hardness of 20,

Exx, where are you getting these bullets? Is it these?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: finklea73,

Posts: 402 | Registered: December 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's them!

Picture of SeattleDude
posted Hide Post
What is better powder for use with Hornady 150gr FMJ bullets? 1680 or H110?

And also what lengh and powder charge.

Will be going through my 8.5inch RA Ultra Match barrel.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I've never loaded those, but I know Prudence does. Hopefully he will stop in. I think I'd use Lil gun or 296 though....

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
I have a load for 150gr SMK's if that interests you at all.

Going to be loading some Barnes 110gr this week, maybe some Hornady as well... Ill post up loads and pics after the range trip on Thursday next week.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SeattleDude:
Can you guys tell what powder this is?

It came loaded in 300BLK with 220gr bullet.

Are they factory loads or reloads?

I would expect a 220gr to be loaded with A1680 but that powder is definately not any of the 300BLK powders I use which are A1680, H110, and Lil' Gun.

So I have no clue as to what powder that is.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could it be IMR 4227? Most of my Dupont powders are stick like that.

1 John 1:9

Posts: 66 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a line on Barnes 110's?