SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    300 Blackout Reloading Discussion
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout Reloading Discussion Login/Join 
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Finally got to the range to check my sub loads. Worked like a champ in the Noveske, so I set to cranking out a couple hundred tonight. I made all I could with the brass I have ready. I tumbled some while loading and tomorrow night will chamfer and debur another set and get another 500 pieces of brass ready. I want to build up a stock of a subs and then Ill switch up to making up some subs for the bolt gun.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
So...

After getting my SBR stamp and my two 762-SDN-6 stamps Saturday, I've assembled my SBR (mostly - can't put the handguard on yet).

Loaded up 5 rounds each of

All 220gr SMK, AA1680, CCI 41 primers, converted LC brass, 2.12" OAL

I'm going to go chrono at the range this afternoon and see what I get. If I need to drop the charge even more, at least the range is only 5 minutes from home.

Picking up my two cans tomorrow morning, so I want to make sure I have some ammo at the ready!!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
So, I only shot the 11.4 and the 11.2.

11.4:

11.2:

I'm thinking I like 11.4, at an average of 1019 FPS. Anything more, and I'm worried that the odd hot one might end up going supersonic on me in the winter.

All were shot into cardboard at 7 yards, and I had no keyholes.

Now, to pick up my cans in the morning.....

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
What is everyone using for cheap, heavy pills? 220 SMK is not a good option for high volume.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Cheapest I've seen are nosler 220s for 30 cents per.

Some guys use Hornady 208s.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
I put away a couple thouand SMK;s when I could get em cheap.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Sheesh. I may grab some cheap hard cast stuff and work up loads. 30 cents a bullets is a lot for running drills and shooting games.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
You can try, some people have trouble with cast ones feeding since they tend to be round nose...

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Going to check out the shhhhhhhhhhhh after work.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
After much gas block fiddling yesterday, the shhhh... It rocks.

At 100 yards, the bullets are slow enough that I can hear the THUMP they make when they impact a berm. Neatest thing ever.

I might just have to see just how far I can get with them. Sure, it'll be more like a mortar than it will a rifle, but it will be fun. Lol

Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I noticed today that Hodgdon is listing H4198 with heavy bullets now. Still supersonic, but very intriguing considering I have a bottle. Wink

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
H4198 is a fine powder for 220 subs. Cycles mine flawlessly.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts

Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I should have my can any day now, anxious to run the subs thru my own setup.. The lead boolits (220 gr) sure did make a mess of my buds baffles in his YHM. Messy and not very stable so far. These are from the Lee mold and drop at an avg of 218 gr. We just haven't been able to get them to stabilize in our 1/8 twist 16" barrels, with feeding/jamming issues as well. I have some 208 Amax's loaded up to chronograph, these should be fine.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
I put away a couple thouand SMK;s when I could get em cheap.

Exactly what I did.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
At 100 yards, the bullets are slow enough that I can hear the THUMP they make when they impact a berm. Neatest thing ever.

It is very cool to hear the thump of the impact! Big Grin

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Midway has Barnes TAC-TX in stock!

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...rrival-_-ProductLink

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Holy CRAP I'm not paying that much!

Damn lead smelter...

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Holy CRAP I'm not paying that much!

Damn lead smelter...

I "think" that is the same price I have paid for these rounds in the past. Better than paying that amount for 20 loaded rounds.

I consider these to be the best and most accurate self defense 300 BLK rounds I have ever tested.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure the last boxes I bought were sub-30. I'd have to look it up, but they definitely weren't more than 32.

And besides, now that I have the shhhhhh, I'm way more interested in good deals on 220smks thank I am black tips.. Wink

Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Midsouth has the TAC-X bullets for much cheaper...not sure how they are though:

http://www.midsouthshooterssup...R_Flat_Base_50_Count

Also have 150 and 168gr XRs

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post