300 Blackout Reloading Discussion

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/4450032123

January 02, 2014, 05:29 AM
billnchristy
300 Blackout Reloading Discussion
Deez be 'dem:
https://www.sierrabullets.com/...0/308-dia-150-gr-SPT

I did not chromo, don't have one. All I can tell ya is they were louder than the Rems. Sierra's data said they should be between 1600-1800fps depending on where you load.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.
January 03, 2014, 02:56 PM
exx1976
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Powder Valley has "Major manufacturer Factory seconds" of 125gr HP .308 bullets.

I'm guessing this to be SMKs.

They are $99.95/500

I ordered 1k.

Get em before they're gone!!

Don't know if anyone else bought any of these, but my 1k just showed up. They are, in fact, SMKs. And from visual inspection, they are just a little "dark", like tarnished. Like they've been on my bench for a couple years. Haven't weighed or measured any, but I'm wishing I had bought A LOT more than just 1k.

Oh well. At least I have 1k. Big Grin
January 04, 2014, 01:37 AM
StorminNormin
I have been waiting for 12 months now for some Barnes Tac-TX bullets to show back up. These are great bullets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...box-of-50?cm_vc=S014

NRA Benefactor Life Member
January 04, 2014, 10:28 AM
billnchristy
I have the factory ones loaded in my gun for defensive use.

January 04, 2014, 11:54 AM
exx1976
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:

I also bought one box of factory loads of them for home defense.

Still waiting for the loose bullets to show up so I can save some coin.. $32 for 20 rounds is STEEP!
January 04, 2014, 02:34 PM
StorminNormin
quote:
quote:

Still waiting for the loose bullets to show up so I can save some coin.. $32 for 20 rounds is STEEP!

About 12 months ago I secured 500 rounds of the Barnes Tac-TX and have 300 loaded so far and stored and loaded for defensive use, but I would like to get more. They are very accurate rounds.

January 04, 2014, 02:42 PM
exx1976
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
quote:

About 12 months ago I secured 500 rounds of the Barnes Tac-TX and have 300 loaded so far and stored and loaded for defensive use, but I would like to get more. They are very accurate rounds.

Holy crap! Eek

Where did you come by that many, and how much did they run you?
January 04, 2014, 02:45 PM
billnchristy
My LGS sells the loaded ammo for $29.99.

I'd love to get ahold of 150-200 bullets for JIC scenarios.

January 04, 2014, 02:57 PM
exx1976
quote:
My LGS sells the loaded ammo for $29.99.

I'd love to get ahold of 150-200 bullets for JIC scenarios.

Yeah, I'd like to get ~500 of them and load them up in mags and stick them in an ammo can somewhere for SHTF. Also for hunting - I have heard excellent reports of them as a hunting bullet.
January 04, 2014, 02:59 PM
exx1976
PSA -

Be careful you don't double-charge your subs!

No, not my rifle. It's from a thread over on 300blktalk.
January 05, 2014, 10:22 AM
StorminNormin
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Holy crap! Eek

Where did you come by that many, and how much did they run you?

It was back in January and I was up at like 2 or 3am doing surveillance and decided to check Powder Valley and they had them and I pulled the trigger. It was about $300 plus shipping.

January 05, 2014, 10:28 AM
StorminNormin
quote:
PSA -

Be careful you don't double-charge your subs!

No, not my rifle. It's from a thread over on 300blktalk.

Yikes! Do you have a link to the thread? I wouldn't mind reading it. Nevermind, found it: http://www.300blktalk.com/foru...ic.php?f=141&t=86895

I am super careful on double charging. That did some damage. I will NEVER buy Hornady steel cased 5.56 ammo ever again because one time I bought some of their factory ammo and had a case head separation on a round I shot. It blew out my magazine cracking it and bent the extractor. At least all I had to do was replace the extractor.

January 05, 2014, 10:32 AM
StorminNormin
It looks like Barnes SHOULD hopefully start pumping out some 300BLK ammo since they are introducing a 120gr TAC-TX to be released in February 2014. I just hope we reloaders can get some and not just ammo manufactures.

Mona, UT –-(Ammoland.com)- As the industry’s leading supplier of 300 AAC Blackout ammunition and bullets for reloaders, Barnes Bullets, LLC (“Barnes”) is proud to announce a new 120 grain offering in addition to the current 110 grain TAC-TX in VOR-TX Ammunition and component lines.
The new products will be made available in February, 2014.
Features of the 120 grain TAC-TX include a specially designed profile that ensures flawless magazine-length loading in AR rifles, a boattail base to increase the ballistic coefficient and the proven solid-copper construction pioneered by Barnes that ensures consistent terminal performance through barriers and thick skinned game – making it an excellent choice for big game hunting as well as defense initiatives.
About Barnes Bullets, LLC
Barnes has led the industry in bullet technology and innovation since the 1930’s. With the introduction of Barnes VOR-TX Ammunition in 2010, the company continues to move forward and expand its vast lineup of top quality, performance-based products that give shooters a decided advantage in the field and on the range.

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/1...llets/#axzz2pXdUDXC6

January 05, 2014, 11:46 AM
exx1976
quote:
It looks like Barnes SHOULD hopefully start pumping out some 300BLK ammo since they are introducing a 120gr TAC-TX to be released in February 2014. I just hope we reloaders can get some and not just ammo manufactures.

Mona, UT –-(Ammoland.com)- As the industry’s leading supplier of 300 AAC Blackout ammunition and bullets for reloaders, Barnes Bullets, LLC (“Barnes”) is proud to announce a new 120 grain offering in addition to the current 110 grain TAC-TX in VOR-TX Ammunition and component lines.
The new products will be made available in February, 2014.
Features of the 120 grain TAC-TX include a specially designed profile that ensures flawless magazine-length loading in AR rifles, a boattail base to increase the ballistic coefficient and the proven solid-copper construction pioneered by Barnes that ensures consistent terminal performance through barriers and thick skinned game – making it an excellent choice for big game hunting as well as defense initiatives.
About Barnes Bullets, LLC
Barnes has led the industry in bullet technology and innovation since the 1930’s. With the introduction of Barnes VOR-TX Ammunition in 2010, the company continues to move forward and expand its vast lineup of top quality, performance-based products that give shooters a decided advantage in the field and on the range.

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/1...llets/#axzz2pXdUDXC6

That pisses me off. "Hey, we can't even produce enough of the products we currently carry, lets introduce another one to thin things out even further."

Ugh.
January 06, 2014, 05:22 PM
C Swimm
I don't know what kind of powder they double charged that Sub with but when I double charged one it nearly filled the case with AA1680. I don't see how I could possibly seat a bullet if I double charged it. I am using a charge of 10.5gr AA1680 with 220gr SMKs and getting about 1030fps. Cycles great in my 14.5" with suppressor. Haven't tried this load unsuppressed yet.

-Chris

... if the people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the laws then they will conclude that neither are they. -Michael Cannon, CATO Institute.
January 06, 2014, 05:28 PM
C Swimm
By the way, I finally loaded up those 240gr SMKs. I did three 10 round test batches of 10.1gr, 10.3gr, and 10.5gr of AA1680 with 2.130" OAL.

Now I just need to get some decent weather to try them out.

Unless these things are super quiet and spectacular performers, I doubt I will be getting any more as the 220gr seem to do the job very well. I have 150 of these 240gr bullets and when they are gone I probably won't be getting any more. Unless of course they shock the hell out of me.

-Chris

... if the people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the laws then they will conclude that neither are they. -Michael Cannon, CATO Institute.
January 06, 2014, 07:28 PM
exx1976
So... My new sizing plan has worked out AWESOME.

I bought thousands (5k) of pieces of once-fired Lake City. Anyone that has ever processed it knows what some of that stuff looks like. Dings, dents, all kinds of crap.

I'm not that picky, and most of it will get fixed after the first firing. The only thing that doesn't get "fixed" are those annoying dings that happen to be in JUST the right place in the body of the parent case that they wind up creating a ding in the mouth of your new blackout brass.

How to fix these PITA dings? They make these little crescent moon shaped "dents" in the mouth, and no matter how many times you run that case up into the sizer die, the poor expander ball just doesn't seem up to the task.

AH-HA! Got it!

A while back, I bought a 30 caliber K&M expander mandrel, at Jelrod's urging. I was using it to expand the mouth/neck on my virgin Lapua brass so that I could size it back down and have consistent neck tension. So it hit me... "Expand the mouth, then size again!"

Well, that sort of worked. The trick was to anneal the case so it was soft enough to be properly formed back, then size, then expand, then size again.

SO - here is my process, from start to finish. Hopefully it helps you guys out!

Chop
Decap
Stainless tumble (both to clean, and deburr)
Anneal
Dry
Lube with IMPERIAL CASE WAX! IMPORTANT!

Now.. Onto the press!

Dillon 550. Dedicated toolhead for sizing.

Station 1: Forster sizing die, expander ball in, decapping pin out
Station 2: K&M 30 caliber expander mandrel
Station 3: Forster sizing die, expander ball in, decapping pin out

That's right, I'm using TWO sizing dies. This way, I just run the case around the press like normal, and it gets sized (gets the ding in the mouth if the parent case was dented), then gets expanded to remove the ding, then gets sized back proper again.

Send the cases on a run around the press, then tumble in corn cob to remove the lube and polish off the annealing marks, and viola! Perfect blackout brass!

Then trim with a WFT and chamfer/debur, and it's ready to go. Big Grin
January 06, 2014, 11:14 PM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by C Swimm:
Cycles great in my 14.5" with suppressor. Haven't tried this load unsuppressed yet.

It should shoot and cycle just fine with AA1680 as the powder. I use 10.9gr @ 2.089" OAL.

January 07, 2014, 08:39 PM
StorminNormin
quote:

Chop
Decap
Anneal
Dry

Now.. Onto the press!

Interesting, thanks for sharing! I guess I have been lucky so far to not have too many of those dings you are talking about, but I know exactly what you are describing and now know how to fix them. I need to look into getting a mandrel.

January 07, 2014, 08:51 PM
exx1976
quote:
quote:

Chop
Decap
Anneal
Dry

Now.. Onto the press!

Interesting, thanks for sharing! I guess I have been lucky so far to not have too many of those dings you are talking about, but I know exactly what you are describing and now know how to fix them. I need to look into getting a mandrel.

http://www.kmshooting.com/cata...d-iron_complete.html

You're welcome! Smile