SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    How times change....supply & demand...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How times change....supply & demand... Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
How times change. A post in the handguns section on HK P-7's got me thinking about pistol brass (I'll get to it)

I decided to switch the Dillon over to .38 Special today. I'm running low on .38 plinking ammo.

Did the switch over, then went to find some regular old, it USED to be EVERYWHERE, .38 special brass. I did find some but barely 1K rds.

Back when .38 brass was as common as 9mm is NOW I should have saved/scavenged MORE I guess.

The P7 story...Back in the mid to late 70's 9mm ammo was fairly expensive , same for brass. Yet .38 Special was everywhere and cheap. Agencies still issued revolvers the switch over to nine was just starting.

I was back in NJ visiting a good friend who was a NJ State Trooper. He and I had worked together as cops a few years earlier. The NJSP was carrying P-7's and possibly even soon to get the P-13's. We were at Sea Girt their Training facility. I had mentioned I had just bought a new Browning HP and was there anyway I could snag some brass or ammo? We went to one of the buildings and there was a plywood box on a pallet, four feet square FULL to the brim with 9mm brass! An amazing amount at that time.

There had to be a DOZEN similar pallets full of .38 brass in the same building! Wish I had some of that now.

Over on a workbench where it appeared someone cleaned or worked on firearms was a cardboard box with HUNDREDS of either P7 or P13 mags! Who would have ever thought those would be like gold now?

How times DO change!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My 38 brass lasts forever because it doesn’t end up in the weeds or forward of the firing line. Funny you should mention how the P7 brought this to your mind. I was thinking the same thing in the 30-06 brass thread. I have thousands of loaded Greek rounds that I bought for 7¢ each. Or Mauser rifles I bought for $69, or a SKS I bought for $89, and on and on.

It just reinforces the fact that gun deals are perishable. Sometimes it’s tempting to see a good deal and think you’ll get it later. Often there is no later.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
It just reinforces the fact that gun deals are perishable. Sometimes it’s tempting to see a good deal and think you’ll get it later. Often there is no late

Theres some words of WISDOM.

We tend to recall the Colt SAA's we passed on for $300 ages ago. I try to recall the deals I was smart enough to NOT pass by.

I was fortunate on quite a few. Bought a few Wilsons, Ed Browns before they were super popular and being used, they were very reasonably priced with loots of extras.

Same with a wonderful NOVAK custom BHP I've had for 20+ yrs.

All IS lost to he who waits. Seen it a hundred times.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank, Tony in Helena here...I have an ample supply of .38 Special brass you are welcome what you need.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
Hey Frank, Tony in Helena here...I have an ample supply of .38 Special brass you are welcome what you need.

I found a few more hundred rds today in the garage. I appreciate the offer. I think I have some more .....someplace. I'll be in touch if I run out. Thank You.