SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    School me on the Hornady LNL AP
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on the Hornady LNL AP Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The press comes with one powder metering assembly for rifle and one for pistol. You will want to get one for each additional caliber you will be loading. Label each one and you won't have to mess with it each time you swap calibers. If they're tightened down good, I have had mine go for thousands of rounds before I have to tweak them.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...un-metering-assembly

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...rd-metering-assembly

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So the press came today. I'll admit to being a bit overwhelmed when I first pulled it out of the box. The powder drop with PTX was particularly difficult to set up...lots of trial and error. There were also some indexing issues with the shellplate, which I thought might be a huge pain, but with a quick youtube search, I learned it was a really easy fix.

I was also having some powder spillage problems. The motion of the shellplate kept sloshing powder all over the place. Another quick web search and I learned that tapping the dentent balls on the shellplate in a bit with a punch would reduce the jostling as the shellplate rotated. That solved that problem.

The powder cop die is also an issue. Powder sticks to the pin, and it drops all over the place during operation of the press. I ended up removing it and carefully eyeballing the charge before seating the bullets.

One of the stations on the press is a little tight and requires a wrench to get the LNL bushing to seat fully in it. Other than that, it seems pretty well put together. Once I got everything into adjustment and got myself into a good rhythm, things ran pretty well. I think I'm going to be happy with this thing.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Not sure what powder you were using that stuck to the powder cop pin, but I don't notice it with powders like W231 which is what I use for many loads. I could see it possibly happening with a powder like Unique.
You can try taking the pin and rubbing it with a dryer sheet. Same thing I do with the inside of the powder measure to prevent static.

Glad you received it and already got it set up. I had forgotten (or moved it deep into my subconscious Smile ) the pain of getting the powder measure set up for the 1st time.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
The powder cop come coated in oil to prevent rusting. Make sure you take it apart and clean it real good.

Glad you have every thing up and running. The LNL-AP is very simple design compared to many of the AP out there.

The PTX is one of the things that is hard to get adj quickly. I always advocate buying the powder base die so you don't have to be constantly adj it during caliber conversions. If you go this way Set the PTX Stop and DON'T TOUCH IT AGAIN. Set the stop to limit your max rotor rotation and be done. If you do adj the stop once you go separate powder die, you just threw all the other powder dies settings off. As you found out very small adj have a big impact.

Enjoy your new press. If you need help with issues that arise just post on the forum. Someone will have a solution for your problem.

A couple of tips.

1. Tie some thread to the back of the spring on the primer shuttle. So when you need to change size you simply run the ram up, pull the thread to unhook the spring from the sled, replace sled, use the thread to put spring back on.

2. If for some reason you get a jam, it's normally better to clear the stations to prevent any incidents (missed primer, squib, double charge). Then at the end of the run, run them back through to finish out.

Enjoy your new press and don't worry about the speed. It will come as you get more comfortable with the press.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've had the LNL for 10 days now, and I've loaded about 1500 rounds of ammo. The biggest problem I'm experiencing is that I'm not going to be able to afford to keep up with components!

The more I get to know the press, the better it seems to work. Now that the indexing is dialed in, I'm having no issues. Starting with full primer tubes, I can easily load 100 rounds in 15 minutes. I really like the simplicity of the design, and ease of disassembly for cleaning and manipulating the rounds at different stages in the process, if required. I was over at my buddy's place last night and we were playing with his 650. It's an awesome machine, but the more familiar I get with both systems, the more I feel that the LNL is a better fit for me and my needs. I have no regrets.

With my 9 year-old son acting as a casefeeder, we can get our output down to about 100 rnds/10 minutes. He recently started shooting center-fire handguns (upgraded from a Ruger SR22), and he's had a blast shooting steel plates at my gun club. I told him that if he's going to be using up all my ammo, he's going to have to start helping me make more, and as he thinks watching the press run is really cool, he's been more than happy to feed cases and help fill primer tubes.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Glad you're liking it, and having an enthusiastic helper is all the better!

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for 10 years now and have no issues.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I had a LnL for years, sold it for a Dillon 550.

Didn't have a hitch with the LnL.

Just liked the Dillon better...

In fact, I put the cool LnL doo-dads in my single stage RCBS Rock Chucker...all my dies now have them on them and I use Hornady die lock rings because I think they are better

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is an article out on the web someplace that was written by a gentleman who did a side by side by side comparison of the LNL, Dillon and Lee progressive. Pros and cons of all 3. After reading it I decided on the LNL. I now have 2 LNLs. 1 for 9mm ,1 for 45 ACP. Over the 10 + years of ownership I have caliber plates for most all the common pistol calibers and several rifle calibers. Only ever had 1 glitch with the index pawns and that was my fault. I added the case feeder as a Christmas gift to myself just this year. Several hacks I have done:
1. I use SS welding rod of the proper diameter in the primer tubes to keep weight on the primers that helps primer feed and lets me know when the primer level is low.
2. I fabricated a mini deep well socket out of an empty 45 Colt case that slips over the small nut on the underside of the primer seating plunger-makes changing from large to small primer seaters very simple.
3. I use Teflon tape to insure the dies and adapters stay tight as they tend to loosen on my press.
4. I tried the Hornady bullet feeder dies but wasn't happy with the time it took to fill feeder tubes so I removed the collet from the dies and just drop a bullet down thru the die into the case mouth.
5. I use the PTX die in station 2 as it does help the case mouth belling in several ways.
I also use Hornady ONe Shot lube on all cases before I add them into the feeder funnel.
6. Finally, after many thousands of rounds ,the sharp pointed end of the primer punch had worn a small crater into the cast iron base of the press and I felt that the primers were not being seated deep as I want them. Solution : A copper penny duct taped to the base underneath the contact area of the primer punch.
I can easily load 500 per hour if I have my extra primer tubes loaded but I usually go slower as I eyeball the powder charge in each case before I drop the bullet into the case on the upstroke.
Over the years, Hornady CS has been great and I'm very happy with the LNL product!
( THe earlier post about using a thread to help remove the primer slide is a GREAT idea! I've launched that little sucker more than once!)

Posts: 167 | Location: Central Florida-Behind the orange safety cones | Registered: July 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you want a low primer warning, the Dillon unit fits the LNL just fine.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quiet observer
posted Hide Post
I ordered a LNL AP that will be here Tuesday. The comments and suggestions in this thread are what helped me decide.
I just wanted to say thank you for the honest comments, critiques, and the tips for operating.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 985 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post