SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Working up loads when you have to pay to use the range
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working up loads when you have to pay to use the range Login/Join 
posted
Paying a public range fee while trying to work up a load is a real pain in the butt. Not only does it cost a lot, it takes forever if the range isn’t close and/or you’re limited to one trip per month. How do you manage this effectively?

Posts: 904 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I would try to find a most cost effective range. I know that may not be possible. So, plan your range work carefully so as to get as much done in the time/costs as possible.

Sorry, no easy answer.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I prepare a loading block with loaded rounds

Handgun:
5 rounds of a particular loading ie, 4.5
5 rounds 4.6
5 rounds 4.7

etc

same thing with rifle rounds

I write on the brass with a sharpie so nothing gets mixed up

when I've found one that meets my criteria, fps, cycles the gun properly...I use that load.

then, when I get home I tear apart all the left rounds and recycle the compotents.

But mostly I load my pistol rounds to the standard velocity to a factory round.

(ie, 5.56, I load a 55 grain FMJ to the NATO velocity based on my loading book-and I don't try to make it match that out of my 16" M4)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I prepare a loading block with loaded rounds

Handgun:
5 rounds of a particular loading ie, 4.5
5 rounds 4.6
5 rounds 4.7

etc

same thing with rifle rounds

I write on the brass with a sharpie so nothing gets mixed up

when I've found one that meets my criteria, fps, cycles the gun properly...I use that load.

then, when I get home I tear apart all the left rounds and recycle the compotents.

But mostly I load my pistol rounds to the standard velocity to a factory round.

(ie, 5.56, I load a 55 grain FMJ to the NATO velocity based on my loading book-and I don't try to make it match that out of my 16" M4)

This is basically how I do it also. For the hand gun though it might be 10 - 15 rounds per load. Rifle is 3 - 5 round.

LOTS of notes too. I have a little 3x5 (or so? ) book for each caliber. The kind of small bound notebook you find at Office Depot for $3 per. On each page I'll have the load's info (powder, grains, COA, etc) and three ring target. Mark where each round hits and go from there.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The good lord must have read my post. An old acquaintance just invited me to join him on a private farm.

Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
Take the press with you. Much faster than any other method I have used.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Do you live near public lands? I've sighted in my rifle to 300 yards in National Forest. May not have been exactly 300 yards, but close enough for sighting it in. Handgun would be much simpler.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1967goat I’m probably 300 miles from the closest national forest. And jmorriss, I was going rob hat exact same thing but I don’t have a trailer hitch anymore. Went from acdurango to a Grabd Marquis.

Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
If you have a bench to shoot from, mount the press to a board and c clamp it to the bench.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
1967goat I’m probably 300 miles from the closest national forest. And jmorriss, I was going rob hat exact same thing but I don’t have a trailer hitch anymore. Went from acdurango to a Grabd Marquis.

My press is bolted to a 30" section of left over deck board, 5/4" X 6". That gets clamped into a Black & Decker Workmate. It's rock solid, the press on one end and the powder measure on the other.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have to drive 6 miles to get to a piece of state land where many of us shoot. An old Quarry. Good for 105 yds. Though one has to bring your own bench. No cost. Seldom ever anyone else there.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I have to drive 6 miles to get to a piece of state land where many of us shoot. An old Quarry. Good for 105 yds. Though one has to bring your own bench. No cost. Seldom ever anyone else there.

Yeah, I'm about two miles. I could should on my land, but I don't want to bother the neighbors with the noise.

I feel bad for folks who don't have the open land that we do to play on.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The answer is to have many guns for which you're trying to work up an accurate load. Then each trip is worth the effort. As well, sometimes it's the journey that's the enjoyment and not the destination.

I had a rifle rebarreled about 20 years ago and the very first load I tried, totally picking it at random, shot 1/4" groups. I was never so disappointed with a project.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I am an hour from a range I can shoot 100y at, 3hrs to a 300y range. So I put my test ammo together, chrono & other shooting gear & go shoot. Both ranges are private, so I only pay the annual & no range fee but still gotta get there.
I do ladder test for my rifles when working up loads. Then next visit, the cherry picked loads get tested. So I can do it in two trips.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:

Come on Frank, you can shoot 105y at your place.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
quote:

Come on Frank, you can shoot 105y at your place.

I can shoot to 800+ yds but unless it's something threaded for a can...Opal the border collie gets upset. I was recently shooting a .26 Nosler, with a brake. WHY the trip to the quarry...one LOUD bugger that twenty six.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post