SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Crank gave out on my 550 B Today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crank gave out on my 550 B Today Login/Join 
Banned
posted
Not the first time this has happened but don’t remember when previously or how many rounds ago, maybe 50 to 75k. Guys said would send out no charge. I may just buy one to have on hand. I read on the forum somewhere that is a known design flaw. Sort of concentrates the force on the right hand side. Guess the Square Deal would be different as in more symmetrical. Anyone else run into this? I think the cranks on the 550C have a grease cirque, however that is spelled

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Dillon sets the warranty standard really high,they also live it.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
I have seen photos of folks that have become them on SD’s, 550’s and 640’s.

After 30+ Years loading on Dillon presses, I haven’t broke one but now that I said that I expect to break all three next time I use them.

Actually I think they are all safe fore sure not that I lube all my cases. It takes significantly less effort on my part to load, has to be easier on the press too.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Mostly pistol and use the carbide dies and always lube the rifle ones. Since both cranks have failed in the same place I suspect is a design flaw and the crank is a sacrificial part in the vast scheme of things. Will afford me the opportunity to deep clean and relube.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
So what exactly broke? Can you post a pic?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
MY 1st 550 went about 150K before that happened. Fixed for no charge.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
So what exactly broke? Can you post a pic?

I will try to post a picture but is the crank part-just to the left of where the handle goes in. Exactly where the last one broke.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
MY 1st 550 went about 150K before that happened. Fixed for no charge.

Fred,
yes new part on its way, no charge. Maybe i will keep a round count on this one. Been reloading about 27 years or so all on a dillon 550.

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Metal fatigue,you guys are plain wearing the things out
They mothball ship and planes because of metal fatigue Wink

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:

Guilty as charged. I don’t know how many rowing machines I went theough earlier in life. Was pretty hard on my hoist machine too but that mainly suffered from being moved and disassembled and reassembled. I plan on leaving my 550 B out on the desert of Davis Monthan air base next to a B 58 Hustler

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

All back together huzzah. Need to install the new light. I think I will order those parts to have on haand and see if I can get the C version of the crank.

Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
quote:

Guilty as charged. I don’t know how many rowing machines I went theough earlier in life. Was pretty hard on my hoist machine too but that mainly suffered from being moved and disassembled and reassembled. I plan on leaving my 550 B out on the desert of Davis Monthan air base next to a B 58 Hustler
How many people on this forum even know what a B-58 Hustler is? I do cause I was a ground crew member and Crew Chief for 4 yrs + 9 months. Damm things were really rough for maintenance but was one very very fast bomber. It's only job was to deliver nukes to USSR.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chansen92:
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
quote:

How many people on this forum even know what a B-58 Hustler is? I do cause I was a ground crew member and Crew Chief for 4 yrs + 9 months. Damm things were really rough for maintenance but was one very very fast bomber. It's only job was to deliver nukes to USSR.

My dad was in the AF primarily SAC. I don’t know how many B58 Hustler models I put together. One had the weapons pod that was spring loaded and would eject.