SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    45 Super? Anyone load it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 Super? Anyone load it? Login/Join 
posted
I've never paid much interest to this cartridge and am going to do some research on suitable platforms and load data etc.

Anyone here shoot or reload for it? Do you have a recommended pistol/barrel that I can go with to get started? Good load data and bullet combo that works for you?

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I've been loading & shooting 45 Super since 1988. I had my 5" Colt gov't model "converted" by Ace Hindman in 1988. (Sadly, he passed on) In those days you had to make your own brass from 45 Detonics magnum or 45 Winchester magnum brass. These days you can buy it otc. My everyday load is a 230g bullet over 11g of HS-6. That gives me 1100 fps. I've had it up to 1300+ fps but the recoil starting getting uncomfortable. I Usually don't use 185g bullets but with 15g of HS-6, I've gotten 1500fps out of my Colt without any pressure signs. It's a great round that competes easily with a .44 magnum for velocity & power. 10mm isn't even close in power. It's an underestimated cartridge that has held on for over 30 years but never quite "caught" on.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Delta 3. I have always been a 10mm lover and recently started looking at Super and after shooting some Underwood and Buffalo Bore am really impressed. My Glock 21 and 30 now have Lone Wolf fully supported barrels.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
As an added bonus, you can shoot "regular" 45 ACP rounds right along with the Supers.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
The new terminology used today has me confused. How do you shoot a platform? Do these platforms actually shoot a bullet or do you use a platform to attach your target to? I have been doing this for 65 yrs and never shot a platform or seen a firearm run. When I was in basic training (ARMY)I would have been in deep shit if I talked like that! I just don't get it! Not at all.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Some body is crankie today,but old folks like you and I can be Wink

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Some body is crankie today,but old folks like you and I can be Wink

Cranky enough to still load 460 Rowland?

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:

Cranky enough to still load 460 Rowland?

you got me brother,That thing took a while to do the bata testing ,I keep good records and finally got the right primers ,powder combo.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read thru this thread, especially by Tsp45ACP.

There is some load data in it that I've used. START LOW!

Posts: 25 | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post