SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    44 Mag guys!!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 Mag guys!!!! Login/Join 
Hoghunter
Picture of sybo
posted
Gentlemen, I just picked up a Ruger Redhawk with a 5.5" barrel, got any wild Hog killin recipes? Got some 240 gr JSP. Thanks in advance! PS, recoil is NOT an issue.

Jim

Posts: 4160 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
24.5 GR H110.
Enjoy! Big Grin

Before there was man, the parrot ruled the world. Now man rules the world and the parrot has not forgiven - Native American Proverb.

Posts: 37534 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new Ruger Jim - I like this stuff myself. My own handloads are nowhere near as potent LOL

Posts: 583 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Standard load for my Super Redhawk and T/C Contender are 240gr XTP's over 24.0gr of H110.

My Super Blackhawk likes the 200gr XTP's over 26.0gr of H110.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3093 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoghunter
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Thanks friends!! I can see flame throwing in my future!!!!!!!!

Posts: 4160 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
110 is awfully hot for me in the 44s. But, if, as you say, recoil is not an issue, then go for it. It's a great powder for that round, you're just going know it when you fire it.

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy." Winston Churchill

Posts: 11991 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I do like the barrel length. I have loaded for my Ruger 44 and several 45 Colts. I usually have a range of ammo, lighter plinkers, middle duty, and then 'full house' loads.

The middle loads are usually with H Universal or Unique. The max performance loads are WFN hardcast with H-110/Win-296.

For a hog I'd go with WFN hardcast in the medium to higher range.

Posts: 2713 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strange looking canelure/crimp on that pic in Newf's post. Is that a Buffalo Bore crimp or a handload? Just wondering on whether it keeps those big slugs from jumping forward in recoil? Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights through and by the sacrifice of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 451 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
If H110 is a little too much, on a handgun hunting forum, someone recommended 10.0gr of Unique with the 240gr XTP.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3093 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodfac:
Strange looking canelure/crimp on that pic in Newf's post. Is that a Buffalo Bore crimp or a handload? Just wondering on whether it keeps those big slugs from jumping forward in recoil? Rod

That's stock BB ammo pictured - those rounds def kick big time so my guess'd be just to keep it all in place too.

Posts: 583 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve in PA:
Standard load for my Super Redhawk and T/C Contender are 240gr XTP's over 24.0gr of H110.

My Super Blackhawk likes the 200gr XTP's over 26.0gr of H110.
In my OM Blackhawks I fire 180gr bullets over 26.5gr H110--those do make a nice flame!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

Posts: 17861 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Surfer
posted Hide Post
I use 22 grains of 2400 with a 230 grain cast Keith style bullet.

Posts: 1595 | Location: South East Mo. | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
H110/296 for flame shooting loads (stick to recommended).

2400 for milder, but still .44 mag level loads.

PC

Posts: 485 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Better get used to 110/296. I've heard of a mysterious powder called 2400, but I swear I haven't seen it for sale in a decade. At least it feels like a decade. Mad I've managed to get by using Blue Dot, but I sure wish I could get some 2400. *sigh*

[i]

Posts: 4646 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trail Boss
Bluedot
W296

My Mild to Wild 44 Mag list of powders

Posts: 78 | Location: NEO | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I use H110 for my wife's lever gun in .44 mag. I'll get ~1780 fps out of the 20" barrel and that's not a max load. If recoil isn't a issue, then I suspect you'll find a load for your pistol that you'll like. Personally, I'm not about to fire one of them through my S&W 629.

Posts: 2860 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Better get used to 110/296. I've heard of a mysterious powder called 2400, but I swear I haven't seen it for sale in a decade. At least it feels like a decade. Mad I've managed to get by using Blue Dot, but I sure wish I could get some 2400. *sigh*
I think I've got about 20 pounds of it somewhere--haven't used it for at least 20 years so don't know how good it is. It has been stored inside where the temperature is kept at 70°F year around.

The Ruger Old Model Blackhawk pistols in .44Mag do seem to prefer heavy loads with H110.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

Posts: 17861 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
H110 or W296 is about as good as it gets for max effort loads IMO.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7567 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Better get used to 110/296. I've heard of a mysterious powder called 2400, but I swear I haven't seen it for sale in a decade. At least it feels like a decade. I've managed to get by using Blue Dot, but I sure wish I could get some 2400. *sigh*

My local guy gets 1# every now & then, I go buy a couple. I think 300-MP is going to replace it in the Alliant line eventually. I need to get 1# & give it a run. I pretty much use 2400 for my max loads. H110 gives a bit more vel but more blast & doesn't download as well.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7567 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found that in MY 44 Mag loading that 2400 gets the job done the best.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post