SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Just received my tri-way trimmer!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just received my tri-way trimmer! Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I hope it's all it's cracked up to be. I've got lots of 308 brass to process. Hoping this will speed up the process.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
They definitely speeds up the process. They can be a little difficult to adj if it's on of the drill press mounted one. But once set you good to go. I find that running at a drill press speed of 800 rpm works best.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I got one for 300 BO that I hooked up to a 3400 rpm motor, and it is awesome. Locating the correct coupler that I needed to go from 3/8 on the trimmer shaft to 5/16 on the motor shaft was the most difficult part of setting it up, but once I got that problem resolved it works like a dream. Most cases will trim with less than a second of contact.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue68f100:
They definitely speeds up the process. They can be a little difficult to adj if it's on of the drill press mounted one. But once set you good to go. I find that running at a drill press speed of 800 rpm works best.

That's because they aren't designed to be mounted on a drill press.

I don't know how many times we have to cover this.. Drill presses should not be used with these types of trimmers. Don't feel bad, you're not the only one who does it, you're just the only one who brought it up in this thread.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

I don't know how many times we have to cover this.. Drill presses should not be used with these types of trimmers. Don't feel bad, you're not the only one who does it, you're just the only one who brought it up in this thread.

Depends upon the cutter. I'm using the Trim-It Ii and it is designed for a drill press. Like a few others out there. The hard part is getting the beveling balanced like you want it. It OAL is the easy part. I think the Graund trimmer spins at around 3000 rpm.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

Depends upon the cutter. I'm using the Trim-It Ii and it is designed for a drill press. Like a few others out there. The hard part is getting the beveling balanced like you want it. It OAL is the easy part. I think the Graund trimmer spins at around 3000 rpm.

It's not necessarily the speed, it's the fact that you're dropping brass shavings into the brass, necessitating that you then tumble yet AGAIN to make sure you aren't sending that shit down your barrel. For whatever minuscule amount of time you feel a drill press might be saving you, having to tumble a third time will gobble that up in a hurry.

By using them as intended, the brass falls into the trimmer, as opposed to the case, and you can load them right after you trim without worry.

Unless of course you don't mind sending foreign shit down your barrel; in which case, have at it!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
This will be mounted in my DeWalt cordless hand drill. So you're saying that brass shavings won't get thrown into my case? Cool! I hadn't even thought about that, but now that you do, that makes me even happier that I ordered it.

My burlap sacks of LC brass are waiting...

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Keep the neck pointed down and you're good.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I got my tri-way last night and I'm beyond happy with it! I should've bought one years ago! It takes a little getting used to, but I'm beyond ecstatic that I don't have to trim, chamfer and de-burr every round now. I got it set to trim right where I want it to.

I trimmed while tilting it up and all the brass shavings stayed out of the case. This is definitely going to speed up my process!

You definitely have to hold on tight to the case at the beginning until the shoulder references itself inside the bushing. A Mechanix glove should help as well.

I can definitely see how quick it will be once the brass has been trimmed once and you're not cutting as much as a once-fired piece of brass.

Tony.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I got my tri-way last night and I'm beyond happy with it! I should've bought one years ago! It takes a little getting used to, but I'm beyond ecstatic that I don't have to trim, chamfer and de-burr every round now. I got it set to trim right where I want it to.

I trimmed while tilting it up and all the brass shavings stayed out of the case. This is definitely going to speed up my process!

You definitely have to hold on tight to the case at the beginning until the shoulder references itself inside the bushing. A Mechanix glove should help as well.

I can definitely see how quick it will be once the brass has been trimmed once and you're not cutting as much as a once-fired piece of brass.

Tony.

I wear leather gloves made by underarmour. Similar to a driving glove. Thin, pretty soft. They grip the cases well and help prevent blisters.

Also, there's no need to trim cases every time unless you're super anal about your process. As long as they are in-spec, just load and go.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Got it! Thanks!

Tony.

Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
The mechanics gloves are what I use. They grip good with no slip. I have found the the faster you spin the cutter the less likely you will have one grab and try to spin. That why I run my drill press around 800 rpm.

David