Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neck Tension Login/Join 
Picture of henryrifle
posted
Not too long ago I switched to Redding Type-S sizing dies.

It looks like the early recommendation from Redding and others was 2 thousandth's of neck tension but Redding's current recommendation is 1 thousandth.

I really don't like 1 thousandth (1.5 thousandths is was I was actually sizing to) neck tension possibly because the throat in my barrel is longish and there just isn't much projectile seated in the neck--only about .21" of shank --.355 if you count the boat tail too. Also, Extreme Spread and SD are measurably larger with so little bullet in the neck and low neck tension.

I have switched back to the next smaller bushing which actually gives 2.5 thousandths of neck tension. Accuracy is improved, velocity is up 12 FPS and both ES and SD are tighter.

Other than possibly working the brass harder, is there anything wrong with this?

Thank you,
Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I use .002" in both my 6.5x47 Lapua and it's 6mm necked down Brother. Both are doing fine.

I think that standard old factory FL dies will size the neck down FAR more than You and I are.

Do You anneal occasionally? Takes away that worry of neck issues.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Recommendations are just that, recommendations. You have to do what works for your rifle and system.

I don't think that anyone here is going to tell you that your chosen neck tension is wrong IF you are seeing the results you want.

Cruise onward.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong at all. Keep going smaller if you like, but you will get to a point of no return or you may start buckling the shoulder getting the bullet started.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the Whidden custom die website they sell expander kits for their full length dies. The kit consists of five expanders from bullet diameter to .004 under bullet diameter.

Below many reloaders use the Lyman type "M" expander when reloading their AR15 rifles. As you can see the main part of the expander is .003 smaller than bullet diameter.

I use the Lyman expander above without any problems seating the bullets.

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post