SIGforum
Neck Tension

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/4100093234

October 28, 2017, 10:04 PM
henryrifle
Neck Tension
Not too long ago I switched to Redding Type-S sizing dies.

It looks like the early recommendation from Redding and others was 2 thousandth's of neck tension but Redding's current recommendation is 1 thousandth.

I really don't like 1 thousandth (1.5 thousandths is was I was actually sizing to) neck tension possibly because the throat in my barrel is longish and there just isn't much projectile seated in the neck--only about .21" of shank --.355 if you count the boat tail too. Also, Extreme Spread and SD are measurably larger with so little bullet in the neck and low neck tension.

I have switched back to the next smaller bushing which actually gives 2.5 thousandths of neck tension. Accuracy is improved, velocity is up 12 FPS and both ES and SD are tighter.

Other than possibly working the brass harder, is there anything wrong with this?

Thank you,
Henryrifle
October 28, 2017, 10:17 PM
FN in MT
I use .002" in both my 6.5x47 Lapua and it's 6mm necked down Brother. Both are doing fine.

I think that standard old factory FL dies will size the neck down FAR more than You and I are.

Do You anneal occasionally? Takes away that worry of neck issues.
October 29, 2017, 08:22 AM
rduckwor
Recommendations are just that, recommendations. You have to do what works for your rifle and system.

I don't think that anyone here is going to tell you that your chosen neck tension is wrong IF you are seeing the results you want.

Cruise onward.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
October 30, 2017, 08:47 AM
Blue68f100
Nothing wrong at all. Keep going smaller if you like, but you will get to a point of no return or you may start buckling the shoulder getting the bullet started.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger
October 31, 2017, 11:56 AM
bigedp51
At the Whidden custom die website they sell expander kits for their full length dies. The kit consists of five expanders from bullet diameter to .004 under bullet diameter.

Below many reloaders use the Lyman type "M" expander when reloading their AR15 rifles. As you can see the main part of the expander is .003 smaller than bullet diameter.

I use the Lyman expander above without any problems seating the bullets.