Find
Notify
Tools

Storing powder Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
I searched and didn't see any threads on this:

How do you store your powder? What kind of container? How tightly climate controlled? Is heat worse than cold? How do you keep moisture out, once a container is opened?

I am getting started in reloading and want to lay in a good supply of powder while it is cheap and available. I also don't want to create a dangerous situation.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I store it in paper sacks right near the fireplace.

I just keep it in the house, in the container it came in. I've never had any problem. Moisture, and very high heat are probably the conditions to avoid.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I just store it it’s original container in a closet in my house which is pretty stable as far as temperatures are concerned...that is the way I have stored my powders for 50+ years and have never had any go bad...just make sure the lid is well tightened on any containers that you have opened and you should be good to go.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
in original container then to ammo cans and 8# in large mil ammo metal box then in a metal cabinet in garage.
Seems to keep as I have some old unique in cardboard container,least it was two years back for some loading's in 45 long colt.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I forget what the law says verbatim, but over a certain amount, it's supposed to be stored in a cabinet constructed completely of "1-by" lumber minimally.

I had a buddy build mine, all out of 1x10's and 1x6's.

Slapped some hardware and stain on there and it looks pretty good.

The cabinet is downstairs, about 20’ from my furnace.

All myoowders are in their original packaging.
I additionally placed some silica desiccant packs in there.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a non-airtight cabinet that I keep my powder in. It is kept in my house, and had no problems for the last 4 decades+.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep mine in the garage in a plastic cabinet. It is away from heat or spark and the garage is a concrete slab. I've always been paranoid about carrying any over carpet due to static electricity.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
I've always been paranoid about carrying any over carpet due to static electricity.

Truthfully...that has never entered my mind.

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
I keep mine in the garage in a plastic cabinet. It is away from heat or spark and the garage is a concrete slab. I've always been paranoid about carrying any over carpet due to static electricity.

Don’t worry about it. I test the sensitivity of explosives as part of my job, BTW.

Mine is on a shelf in the garage; all of it is in the factory container.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read that powder should never ever be stored in a gun vault because if there was something that allowed it to ignite inside the vault it could react like a grenade....

Any truth to this? I am not trying to be a smart ass - asking truthfully.....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smokless powder has to have containment to create pressure (explode)...lay it out in a pile on the driveway and you will get big smokey whooshy fiery fizz. Do the same with black powder and it will explode. That is why the required method to store smokless powders over a certain amount in a dwelling be made of 1" wood like C-Dubs shows in his post above...the wooden box is weak enough not to be able to allow the powder to build enough pressure to "explode" rather than burn (a pretty hot burn non the less)...and the 1" thickness of the wood might...I stress might be thick enough to shield it's contents from enough heat to cause it to ignite...
That is why I do not store powders in a way that is not recommended such as in a gunsafe or metal cabinet...from Alliant Powder's website...

http://www.alliantpowder.com/g...aspx#recommendations

10-3.6 Smokeless propellants shall be stored in shipping containers specified by U. S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bisleyblackhawk,

Jimmy Buffet

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My modest (!) aupply just stays in its original containers in a closet in my house, which stays at 70° all year long.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Smokless powder has to have containment to create pressure (explode)...lay it out in a pile on the driveway and you will get big smokey whooshy fiery fizz. Do the same with black powder and it will explode. That is why the required method to store smokless powders over a certain amount in a dwelling be made of 1" wood like C-Dubs shows in his post above...the wooden box is weak enough not to be able to allow the powder to build enough pressure to "explode" rather than burn (a pretty hot burn non the less)...and the 1" thickness of the wood might...I stress might be thick enough to shield it's contents from enough heat to cause it to ignite...
That is why I do not store powders in a way that is not recommended such as in a gunsafe or metal cabinet...from Alliant Powder's website...

http://www.alliantpowder.com/g...aspx#recommendations

10-3.6 Smokeless propellants shall be stored in shipping containers specified by U. S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

Not exceeding 50 lbs??? There's a national news story brewing at my place. Big Grin

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only under the "right" conditions Big Grin

Jimmy Buffet

posted Hide Post
Powder-never a problem. I store it in laundry in the original container. Primers-that's another story.

Posts: 52 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep my powder in a closet in original containers. I just finished this year an eight pound can of Red Dot that I bought in the 70s and it was as good as the day I bought it.

Room temp is always 70-75 degrees and 45- 50% humidity.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspector710:
Powder-never a problem. I store it in laundry in the original container. Primers-that's another story.

Do tell. What do you do differently with primers?

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by inspector710:

Do tell. What do you do differently with primers?

Bruce

I also store them in factory containers in the garage, but they are all in a large ammo can. The powder presents a much larger hazard than the primers if you keep them in their packaging.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I know the powder needs containment to explode rather than burn.

It would seems that an ammo can, tightly sealed, with 50,000 primers in it would act like a bomb, if something set one of them off.

Am I missing something?

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli