SIGforum
Storing powder

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/4090027054

December 14, 2018, 03:51 PM
45 Cal
Storing powder
quote:
It would seems that an ammo can, tightly sealed, with 50,000 primers in it would act like a bomb, if something set one of them off.

There you go with the worrying. Nothing about the primer is Ferris metals,so no sparks unless you stow you fire starting flints with them. Wink
December 14, 2018, 04:43 PM
flesheatingvirus
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I know the powder needs containment to explode rather than burn.

It would seems that an ammo can, tightly sealed, with 50,000 primers in it would act like a bomb, if something set one of them off.

Am I missing something?

Bruce

Primer packaging is designed to prevent ignition propagation between primers in the same box. Those nice little black trays they come in aren’t just for neatness. That is how we can ship them without a Class 1 (explosives) designation. The packaged units undergo extensive testing in their packaged configuration including drop and bonfire tests. All of these are required by the DOT via the 49 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations). Basically, DO NOT store your primers loose in a container.

Even if an entire sealed can of primers got caught in a house fire, they would not all initiate simultaneously. Plus, ammo cans are pretty flimsy when it comes to containing internal pressure. The can would deform and vent before violently exploding in such a situation.

Either way, there is nothing wrong with a cabinet or cardboard box for storing. The main thing is to keep them clean and dry.

Static is only an issue with loose primer composition (which can build up where you least expect it!), not with whole primers.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
December 15, 2018, 09:31 AM
Jim Watson
quote:
Primer packaging is designed to prevent ignition propagation between primers in the same box. Those nice little black trays they come in aren’t just for neatness. That is how we can ship them without a Class 1 (explosives) designation.

Which is why Federal trays and boxes are larger than other brands. Federals really are more sensitive.
January 22, 2019, 08:55 PM
I Flew The Cuckoo's Nest
NFPA 495??? Recommends storing primers at least 15 feet from powder.