SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Oldtimers....help me date these primers??Updated with new pic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oldtimers....help me date these primers??Updated with new pic Login/Join 
posted

So I'm going through my primer stash and I have found these. I know I didn't buy these new as the packaging pre-dates my reloading experiences.

Are these from the 80's? Maybe 70's? I'll go back and look for dates on the packaging but don't recall seeing any.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jackimoe,

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Geaux Tigers
Picture of Alcapone396
posted Hide Post
Mid seventies to eighties is what I can remember them being packed like that..Maybe even all through the eighties...Memory isn't as good as I'd like it to be these days!!!

Al______________Capone396

P220 Combat, P220 Sport, P220EL, X-5 Comp 9mm , P226 BlackWater, P226 ST.357 Sig, P226ST 9mm, P229ST .40, P228, P232 SL, Glock 19, CZ75BSS, CZ-83, S&W 29, S&W 640, S&W 642, Ruger MKII, Ruger Charger,, HKP7,,Browning Hi Power, Colt Anaconda, S&W 460 Mag, RRA 9mm CAR, Robinson Arms XCR, FN-SLP ,Arsenal SAS-M7,, Built AR-15 with lots of goodies,,Etc, Etc, Etc.....

Posts: 1263 | Location: Down South in Bayou Country | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Mid seventies,I still have some small mag ones.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Mid seventies,I still have some small mag ones.

That is what I have a vague memory trace of as well. had a friend who did lee hand loader reloading and he had them. Is there a price on them?

When I started reloading myself some 28 years ago I remember a box of 100 being like 65 cents. memory ain’t what it used to be and you asked us old dudes so may have been more.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
How funny- I just hit the LGS and found similar primers on the bargain table- two packs of large pistol magnum primers. They have .79 hand written on the back, and funky swirled colored trays held by old yellowed scotch tape.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
After awhile even the packaging begins to make me nostalgic. I’m starting to feel that way about the silver/blue CCI packaging that ran up until around 2006.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Mid 70's to mid 80's. I still have some left from that time frame. Back then you could buy them for around $6.50-$9.50/1000. A pound of the W296 was $6.40 when I bought the primers in that era.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blue68f100:
Mid 70's to mid 80's. I still have some left from that time frame. Back then you could buy them for around $6.50-$9.50/1000. A pound of the W296 was $6.40 when I bought the primers in that era.[/QUOTE
Interesting primers today adjust d for inflation are probably twice as expensive as they should be? Powder has not increased as much it seems. Still makes me think I should bunker some more powder and primers. I suspect that we can beat back the civilian disarmament initiatives here in the people’s republic of WA state but they will not stop and will follow CA and make it harder to obtain ammo.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, I remember they were 25cents a deck. Smile

Posts: 134 | Location: Berryville, VA | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
How funny- I just hit the LGS and found similar primers on the bargain table- two packs of large pistol magnum primers. They have .79 hand written on the back, and funky swirled colored trays held by old yellowed scotch tape.

Dealers in the know in the day would tape them when bought by the deck Smile

Posts: 134 | Location: Berryville, VA | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
A term I am unfamiliar with a deck, Know of case 1000 or sleeve 5000

posted Hide Post
Thank you Gents....may I have another?

Timeframe?

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm not answering, not after that "old-timers" remark and the almost new primers. Big Grin

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used as a term of endearment of course. Wink

Fired some of the CCI's from above yesterday and they did great. I only have one box of those Federal so I'll hold on to them.

Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Those are before my time Smile Started hand loading in the 70's so that should tell you something. Look for a lot number that's imprinted on the packing. Most of time it's on a flap. That should allow you to get a mfg date.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of my stash as I last purchased some in Mid 80's for IHMSA silhouette shooting - if anyone still remembers that. Had 20K or so stashed away. Just found where the last of them were hidden.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I have some of the same CCI packaging, and I will just burn them up for practice......

RANGERRON72
Citadel 72
Regular Army Infantry
Ranger Class 3-73

Posts: 2 | Location: Denver | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post