SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Thinking of buying a Dillon 650 and wondering...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of buying a Dillon 650 and wondering... Login/Join 
posted
I Was reading the "Buy a conversion kit" thread which re-energized my interest in the purchase of a Dillon 650. I've watched videos, read articles, etc... Mostly, I'm wondering if any current or former Dillon 650 owners, here on the forum, have purchased and installed any of those upgrades I see offered on Ebay. I see a shellplate bearing kits, camming pin upgrades, spent primer catcher upgrades, etc... Does that machine really have such problems that you need all those upgrades?

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Not so much problems as desired fixes. It doesn't "need" any after market stuff. It will do just fine as is.
The shell plate does snap, as it moves, but can be taken care of by just removing 1/2 coil from the bearing spring. The spent primer collector is sort of cheesy. It works, but a tube & small bottle to hold spent primers works better. I haven't bought anything for mine, easily cranks 650-700rds per hour.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Fred has said, the 650 does just fine as it comes out of the box......but, I have done all of those upgrades to my 650 because I like the results they produce. Your choice after you purchase the press.....some will upgrade, other will not.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Geaux Tigers
Picture of Alcapone396
posted Hide Post
L.E.D. light, primer catcher and the shell plate bearing kit have all be added to my 650 and I would do it again in a minute!!! Roller handle and bullet tray is also installed and makes it better...The machine was just fine when box stock, but is now much better...Just my .02 on the subject!! Buy the XL650 you will be happy that you did!! Another time saver is an extra complete priming system to change from large to small if you plan on using it for different calibers... A little bit costly but well worth it when it comes to changing sizes of primers and saving time!!!

Al______________Capone396

P220 Combat, P220 Sport, P220EL, X-5 Comp 9mm , P226 BlackWater, P226 ST.357 Sig, P226ST 9mm, P229ST .40, P228, P232 SL, Glock 19, CZ75BSS, CZ-83, S&W 29, S&W 640, S&W 642, Ruger MKII, Ruger Charger,, HKP7,,Browning Hi Power, Colt Anaconda, S&W 460 Mag, RRA 9mm CAR, Robinson Arms XCR, FN-SLP ,Arsenal SAS-M7,, Built AR-15 with lots of goodies,,Etc, Etc, Etc.....

Posts: 1263 | Location: Down South in Bayou Country | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
I went to my local bearing supply and picked up a thrust bearing and washers for less than $3, left the rest of the 650 stock, except spent primer management.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sheoKARPGIg

I do run bullet feeders but that's not really a problem with the machine, just a preference.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
my 650 out of the box runs great, I haven't experienced the snapping of the shell plate but might try the 3.00 dollar bearing set up just to see the difference. I did get the roller handle which is nice and the bullet tray. probably going to add another complete loader for my 9 mm.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've added the Inline Fabrication LED lighting kit, spent primer upgrade (via Ebay), clipped a half coil off my bearing spring and added the thrust bearing washers jmorris mentioned. Also, roller handle, strong mount and instead of the bullet tray, I have the double bullet tray setup from Inline. It allows me to move the position of the trays and completely move them out of the way if I need to for any reason.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the great opinions and suggestions. Hope I can find someone in my area that sells the Timken bearing kit.

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
McMasters-Carr sell them. That is where I got mine.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
Use the part number I posted, any bearing store should have them. Napa and Orileys auto parts stores should too.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
If you can't find the bearing kit locally, you can order the same bearing kit and the plastic ball for $9.95 from Hit Factory Shooting Supply.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post