SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Loading 223 for coyote hunting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading 223 for coyote hunting Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Planned on 55gr. but don't have the best idea for the powder. Any suggestions? Due to terrain most shots under 125 yards/

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I load my 223 target ammo with 55grain Sierra Blitz kings over 24 grains of 2230S it’s a commercial powder but the recipe is on the label and it says 3185 FPS out of a 24” barrel with military brass. It’s made by Accurate.

It worked ust fine on the one coyote ive zapped.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
There are so many powders that you could use, it's hard to pick just one. I personally use 2230 for my 55 grn loads, more so because I have 50 pounds of the stuff and I like ball powders for high volume loading on my progressive.

You could use 748, 4895, 8208XBR, CFE223, H335, 3031, 4064, BL-C2, 4166 and so on and on. Your choices are nearly endless. It's not like you need to work up a super accurate load for dog sniping at 125 yards.

If I had to start from scratch, I'd start with 8208XBR for stick and CFE223 for ball. Although I'm very pleased with 2230 and have no desire to switch. BTW, Accurate 2230 and Ramshot X-Terminator are the same powder.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d evaluate what powder you may have on hand? After that consider what other loadings you may do, maybe then get 8 lbs of a versatile powder.

I’d be looking in the TAC, 4895 burn speed range, there are a bunch. Most of those mentioned above would be great. I’d be most inclined to use TAC, it meters great.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sourdough44,

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have been loading the 223 for a long time,lots of different powders.
I settled years back with H-4895 as it meters great thru the dillons 550's.
Great powder for my M-1 plinking also

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of powders that will work for the 223/556. I use TAC and Varget for most all my 223 loads. I prefer TAC for the light bullets, 55 gr or less. I have my gun loaded with the Sierra 65gr Game Kings. They do a good numbers on the the smaller hogs, < 100 lbs. So they will work fine for coyote too. If your wanting the pelt use a bullet that does not expand.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Varget is very popular with 55gr & lighter bullets. I also like CFE223.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t take much at <125 yards. A bit far for a .22lr but the .22 Hornet with 35 gn vmax is more than enough at that range.

Anything in .223 will kill them at that range. A 55gn FMJ would be the cheapest that would work. NATO also thinks it’s a humane bullet for shooting people as well...

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmorris:
It doesn’t take much at <125 yards. A bit far for a .22lr but the .22 Hornet with 35 gn vmax is more than enough at that range.

Anything in .223 will kill them at that range. A 55gn FMJ would be the cheapest that would work. NATO also thinks it’s a humane bullet for shooting people as well...

Please don’t use an FMJ. You want to use an expanding bullet that will kill quickly. Hornady 55grn Vmax is what I use but there are many good options out there.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I used a lot of Varget in 223.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use CFE 223 for 55gr thru 75gr with great success. It is a stable powder.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post