SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    45/70 where do I start?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45/70 where do I start? Login/Join 
posted
I just traded into a 45/70 Pedersoli Sharps and have no idea where to get started. Ive seen some starline brass and dies but what do you folks recommend for bullets between cast and jacketed?

Should I shoot smokeless or blackpowder?

Any good references or starting points I should go for?

I'm mostly looking at target shooting/plinking with some hunting possible depending on how things shake out.

Thanks

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I owned a Marlin in .45-70 I used Hornady 350 gr and an IMR powder (don't have notes in front of me).

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don't own a 45/70, but I do own a 458 Lott that I download sometimes to duplicate 45/70 performance.

You have a HUGE number of .458 bullets to choose from. A great heavy duty hunting bullet for the 45/70 is a Speer 2478.

I wouldn't bother with black unless making smoke is your thing. The Sharps action is strong, so you'll probably settle for a medium to fast powder, being a straight wall case. Maybe 4198 or Reloder 10x? Maybe something as fast as Reloder 7 for cast downloads.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
For my Ruger #1 45-70 I am using Starline brass, Laser-Cast 405-gr bullets and IMR4198 powder.
Get a Lyman 50th Edition reloading manual.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help so far. Will do

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would only shoot lead out of a Sharps replica, it is really what they are designed to shoot. Get a Lyman manual & go to the Sharps section & start rolling your own with some commercial cast bullets. The min dia would be 0.450", 0.460" would be better still.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Typo, min 0.459" or 0.460" dia for lead.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silhouette Shooter
posted Hide Post
Loading for smokeless or black powder cartridge are very different.

For smokeless loads, the load manuals typically list three pressure levels, low (Trapdoor Springfield), medium (Marlin 1895, etc.) and high (Ruger #1 and bolt actions). The low pressure loads are safe in all actions, but if you want to be more adventuresome and your shoulder can handle the recoil the higher pressure loads are interesting. Before trying this, I recommend you determine what pressure your Sharps rifle is rated for and load accordingly.

For cast bullet loads Accurate 5744 and IMR Trailboss are my go-to powders in my Browning 1885. For jacketed bullets in my Marlin 1895, the faster rifle powders, like IMR3031 are a good choice.

If you are interested in black powder loading, I recommend the black powder cartridge loading manual by Steve Garbe and Mike Venturino, as well as several of the books by Paul Matthews. Successful loading for black powder cartridge shooting is a very different process than smokeless. It is very rewarding however (and very frustrating as well sometimes). I have gotten sub one inch groups at 100 yards from my Browning shooting black powder!

Good luck.

Posts: 464 | Location: Fairfax, VA | Registered: March 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I picked up some Starline brass and Acme coated cast 405 bullets. I've seen some folks tossing unique around as a powder for those bullets but I'll look for a manual as well.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Starline brass, CCI 200 primer, with 28gr of 4198 under a 500gr bullet (I use gas checked from Rimrock) and you'll have the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I put 50 of them through my Shiloh Sharps just the other day and wished that I'd have brought another 50 with me.

I shoot 405s out of the Marlin SBL for hunting and such. 31.5gr of 4198 gets me around 1350ft/sec. Very manageable in that rifle and I can shoot it all day long.

Unique will work with 45-70, but I've not done it. I have a Shiloh buddy who shoots it exclusively with 500gr bullets. Don't quote me, but I believe he's at around 12gr.

My only problem with Unique is that it tends to be a bit dirty. I'm not even remotely religious about cleaning my weapons (other than my Sharps...I keep it clean as a whistle after every shoot just because it's so damned purdy), but Unique makes me a bit more conscious about how dirty they are.

Enjoy your Sharps. I have a feeling you're going to love it. Head on over to the Quigley Shoot in June to see some real serious Sharps shooters.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weekendshooter
posted Hide Post
Reloader 7 is another good powder choice.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Eastern PA now and missing Western PA | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I've used IMR 3031.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Loading black powder cartridges is a real paradox. On one end, it's dead simple. Fill the case with powder and add a bullet.

On the other end, as far as variables, all the things you can tweak, adjust, play with in trying to find the most accurate combination for the most accurate load can be mind boggling. It makes loading smokeless ammo look as simple as what I posted above.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have settled on IMR3031 and 4198; max loads are brutal and not all guns are made for it- Sharps and reproduction guns should not be used with max loads.

Black powder adds a different dimension of cleaning care that far exceeds smokeless.

I really like the Hodgdon reload site- it has a break down for trapdoor loads specifically.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^ The folks at Shiloh have told me they theirs will handle Ruger #1 loads.

I have no interest whatsoever in shooting those hot loads, but apparently the rifle will take it.

Can't speak for the other manufacturers though.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
^^^ The folks at Shiloh have told me they theirs will handle Ruger #1 loads.

I have no interest whatsoever in shooting those hot loads, but apparently the rifle will take it.

Can't speak for the other manufacturers though.

I was thinking of the Ballard Sharps; you are right, the Pendersol's are very stout, but I bet is punishing to shoot max loads with.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I'm mostly looking for plinking loads at the moment with some hunting loads possible in the future.