SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Thinking of Reloading for .30-.30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of Reloading for .30-.30 Login/Join 
and this little pig said:
posted
Lately, I've been shooting quite a bit of .30-.30. I was given a Marlin 336C in SS and also have a T/C Contender barrel in that caliber.
So, with all the brass I've been keeping, I was wondering what dies I should get.

I have a Dillon RL550B, but will be using that to reload, albeit in a quasi progression mode. I'd like to size and deprime on one die, hand-prime the brass, insert the powder manually using an RCBS ChargeMaster for a specific charge, manually add the powder to the case, then seat and crimp on the RL550B.

My question to you is: what do I need for dies? Which die manufacturer do you suggest? also, I'm assuming that I need to lube the case necks before sizing, correct?

Thank you all for your answers and enabling me to continue my addiction!! Wink -odin

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents worth...I'd just go with the Dillon dies. Getting too fancy(trying to neck size or shoulder bump) shouldn't be necessary with a 30-30 lever action. You ought to get good results with a standard die and a bit of care.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Yes you need to lube otherwise you can get a stuck case. I find the spray on works quick and easy.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I use rcbs dies but work up all my brass first on an old rockchucker for sizing then trimming and cleaning in the tumbler again.
I loaded this 30 30 and 06 lots way back then.
The 3030 need good roll crimp and can be accomplished by a stripped seating size in the fourth station on the Dillon 550.
Did not have great sucess in the seat station doing both.Fourth station they came out perfect.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I reloaded 30-30 in Pre-Dillon days on an RCBS Jr. Later used a succession of Dillon equipment to load other calibers. If Dillon offers 3-30 dies for your press, that's what I'd use. If not available, perhaps Redding, RCBS, etc. Two things in reloading 30-30. Make sure all brass is trimmed to the same length. If not some case necks will ripple/collapse when the bullet is crimped into the bullet cannelure. After first firing, back off size die to just neck size/bump the shoulder,etc. The rear locking lever actions sometimes flex a bit and/or develop just a little excess headspace. I agree about seating and crimping in separate operations. Once set up, I'd take advantage of the automation of the Dillon press as much as possible, rather than removing/replacing cartridges on the shell plate for this or that...........ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I appreciate the input and tips!
odin

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You won't be able to use the ammo in both guns unless you full length size. Any dies will do, let your wallet decide. You will need a way to trim brass as rimmed stuff stretches quite a bit.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
30-30 shoulders are super easy to crush. It is one cartridge where a Lee FCD is helpful.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post