SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Getting started in bullet casting: Books and DVDs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting started in bullet casting: Books and DVDs? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I didn't want to step on the other casting thread so I started this one.
I would like to start casting bullets for 9mm/38, 40/10mm, 223, and 308.

All I have is a Lee Production pot (on order) and a desire to learn.
Without asking you all to teach me all about it, how can I get the know how to get started?

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'll be watching this thread with interest as well. I just purchased a pot, molds, and a ladle. I'm starting with 158gr .38 LSWCs, but I will likely branch into others if it goes well. I've been waiting for a dry day to try it out, but with the weather we've been having lately that may be a ways out, and I'm not doing it inside.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve been a small time caster for a long time, still have a fair amount of lead in the supply. My main bullets have been 357 & 45 cal, I can load them in many loads including the muzzle-loader.

Most of my stuff is Lee, molds & pot. I normally cast outside in warmer weather, picnic table or similar. Just like with reloading, one can get the range of supplies & components, quality & cost to go with it.

I would start with just a mold or two, the pot, accessories & see how it goes. Mind the safety aspects, don’t want to get ‘splashed’ with molten lead.

My 45 cal(.452”) mold is a TL(tumble-lube) design. I just lube them then load, no additional sizing needed. They are near 200 grain, ok for 45 acp, Schofield, & Colt. With the M-L I use a sabot, 50 cal gun.

Wheel weights aren’t what they used to be. I think most all have zinc in them now. You need to find some close to pure lead.

With the time & process involved, I often find it easier to get bulk plated or lead bullets on sale or clearance. Just like reloading, it’s kinda in the hobby department, don’t necessarily have to save oodles of $$.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best source for casting bullets info:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Lyman cast bullets handbook. If you are going to traditionally lube bullets you will probably need to get a lubesizer. I prefer iron moulds. They have the largest temperature sweet spot that yields good bullets. Lyman 356402 120gr. TC is an excellent 9mm mould if your 9mm barrel is truly .355 inches. My Colt 9mm 1911’s factory barrels and Glock 17 with a Wheaton Arms aftermarket barrel shoot this bullet very well.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have a 4 cavity 140gr. .358 diameter iron Saeco mould that I am looking to part with. The mold casts good bullets but I already have another .358 140gr. mould in my inventory so this is a bit redundant. Email in my profile if interested.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
How do you decide what diameter to cast in? .308? .309? .356, .355, .358?

I am looking to cast for . 223, .308, 38, .357, 9mm, and 40/10.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
You want to be .001 over bore diameter. Officially 9x19 is .355 but most are really.357. Colts and aftermarket Glock barrels are .355 and this makes .356 cast bullets correct. Most Beretta, Sigs and CZ are more like .357 which makes .358 cast bullets appropriate. 9mm is tricky and generally involves slugging your bore.

No experience with .308 or 10mm.

Ruger and Smith .38/357 are usually.357 bore except the Colts which are more narrow. .358 cast almost always works in this caliber and is a great caliber to begin casting.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...jfkxkXRtakd3O2OACONG

Fortunecookie45lc on YouTube does a good job of explaining casting with the 38 special....he has a series on his page.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Look into gas checks for rifle rounds ,takes mold designed for those .
I also gas check some 44 mags but then I found powder coating worked better for me.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Lasc.us is a great source of information

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is your 223 a bolt action or semi auto? Getting a 223 to reliably cycle a semi auto can be frustrating for a new caster/reloader. You may want to work your way to that one after some experience with your other reloading choices.

Posts: 37 | Location: Las Vegas Nevada US of A | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I would be loading 223 for bolt. I expect that there will be issues with semi. Cast for the AR would be just before I start throwing rocks.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli