Help, the instructions with my RCBS dies are not clear. I'm trying to seat my bullets for 9mm. I've read a couple different ways to seat bullets but I'm not getting consistent seating. I've read to adjust the die until it hits the bullet seating and also to adjust the die until it hits a primed resized case. Then put a factory bullet in seating raise all the way up and adjust the bullet seating screw until it touches bullet. Please tell me what is correct and what you do.
1. First put a expanded case in the shell holder with no bullet and run the body down till you fill resistance. The resistance you fill is the crimp part of the die.
2. Now back the die body off 1-2 tuns.
3. Now put a bullet in and start adj the seating stem till you get your OAL.
4. Lock down if your going to crimp in a separate step/die.
If crimping in the seating die, now back off your bullet seating stem. Start running the die body down till you get the Crimp (taper) your looking for. Once set lock the die body.
5. Now with the crimped bullet run the die back down and screw the seating stem in till it contacts the bullet, Plus just a hair more. Locke the die down.
It is now set. Now test to see if it's working to your satisfaction.
Determine your OAL for your gun/bullet combo. The factory bullet will have a different ogive than what your using. Expect 0.005" variation in OAL since your measuring from the tip and not where the seating stem is contacting the ogive.
P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger
|Powered by Social Strata|