SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Dies for 9x23 Steyr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dies for 9x23 Steyr Login/Join 
posted
So I just picked up a Steyr Hahn and need to begin reloading for it. I found starline brass and will have to look up load data for it and I imagine 115s for the bullets.

I've seen some talking about a few different dies for it of note 38 acp, 38 super and 9x19 dies. I don't have any 38s but 9x19 is something I wouldn't mind reloading for so I was hoping 9mm luger dies would work for the 9x23 Steyr. Also do I have to stick with 115s? I like 147s in 9mm in terms of buying bulk bullets.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used .38 super dies for this caliber. Works fine for me. Never tried 147 in this caliber but my Steyr likes 115, 124 and 130 just fine.

Posts: 7 | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a very interesting gun.

Please keep us posted.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will do thanks. They are very cool guns almost like an archaic 1911. I'm looking forward to loading up and trying it out.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
I use my Lyman 9x23 dies for 9mm Steyr loading... works just fine.

I also use the Star line 9mm Steyr brass as well... works well... which is good considering they are the only source I know of...

The original factory load for the 9mm Steyr was a jacketed 116gr bullet.

V/r Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting.
The 9mm Steyr is a straight case and I would first think of .38 Super dies, like Robert.
But the majority (of the very few) I have heard from use dies and even brass for the tapered 9x23 Win or Largo in their Steyrs.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
Whilst it is possible to use 9mm Largo brass to make 9mm Steyr ammo, there is no reason to do so since Star-Line has started making actual 9mm Steyr brass.

I bought a couple thousand 9mm Steyr cases last year... which probably will last me about three lifetimes as little as I shoot my M1912s...

My guess is there are several different dies that would work fine with 9mm Styer in addition to the 9x23 dies. 38 Super and 9mm Largo should both work.

If memory serves me, Lyman made an actual 9mm Steyr die set back in the 1960s (probably right after a big slug of surplus M1912 Steyr pistols hit the surplus market.) If I recall correctly, the only down side to the dies was the fact they were not carbide... a must IMHO.

FWIW

Thanks

Chuck

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Interesting.
The 9mm Steyr is a straight case and I would first think of .38 Super dies, like Robert.
But the majority (of the very few) I have heard from use dies and even brass for the tapered 9x23 Win or Largo in their Steyrs.

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the starline brass with success in the 38 super dies. I think I need to go to a slightly higher load as I got a very weak cycle with a failure to go fully into battery. Usually a tap on the back of the slide made it go fully forward. I was using 9mm luger data which was recommended as I couldnt find any specific load data after talking to a few powder companies.

Do any of you have good load data for it? I'm not looking for anything hot, just cycle the action for plinking. I currently have Unique and CFE pistol and a bunch of 115s.

Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
You may have an old recoil spring that needs replacing... I had to replace the sprig on one of my 1912s... once the new spring was in place it worked like a charm.

FWIW

Chuck

quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I used the starline brass with success in the 38 super dies. I think I need to go to a slightly higher load as I got a very weak cycle with a failure to go fully into battery. Usually a tap on the back of the slide made it go fully forward. I was using 9mm luger data which was recommended as I couldnt find any specific load data after talking to a few powder companies.

Do any of you have good load data for it? I'm not looking for anything hot, just cycle the action for plinking. I currently have Unique and CFE pistol and a bunch of 115s.

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

posted Hide Post
I'll look into the spring thanks. Probably not a bad idea since it appears to have all the original springs in it.