SIGforum
Best way to lube lots of 5.56 cases

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/3690086544

August 12, 2018, 07:15 PM
roymor
Best way to lube lots of 5.56 cases
Am moving from loading on a Rockchucker to using a Dillon 650 and I want to load fairly large batches of 5.56 ammo. What's a fast and effective way to lube numerous cases before sizing, etc. I saw a guy on You Tube lube up a bunch of cases by dumping them into what looked like an empty polishing media jug, spraying lube into the loaded jug and then shaking it all up to lube the cases. That didn't seem like a good method--i.e, lube in the premier pockets and inside the case, etc. I'm wanting a faster way than rolling each case across a foam pad with lube on it. Thanks.

Any sane person should be instinctively skeptical when all the smart people agree. Mark Steyn
August 12, 2018, 07:38 PM
Haveme1or2
I line them up and spray with one shot.
August 12, 2018, 09:16 PM
El Cid 92
I drop about 250 cases in a gallon zip lock....2 sprays of Dillon case lube. Shake. Open the bag and let the alcohol evaporate. Dump in the case feeder. Load. Repeat.

Knock on wood.... no stuck cases.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.
August 12, 2018, 09:40 PM
45 Cal
^
This but I don't own a case feeder,I poke along on a 550
August 13, 2018, 07:58 AM
JWF
I dump cases in a Tupperware pan and shake, cases will “stand up” as case heads orient to bottom allowing you to pick up many at a time. Lay the cases on a flat surface on a paper towel and spray lub. Roll cases a half turn and spray. Allow to dry and size. I have yet to have a stuck case.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry
August 13, 2018, 08:02 AM
Blue68f100
I put around 50 in a 1 gal zip lock bag and spray OS on them. I roll them around to make sure there covered then dump them into the collator on the brass feeder. Then repeat, till I have 200+ in the hopper. Make sure you clean the hopper real good before dumping the brass in. Media will stick to the cases. RCBS also makes a Lube die, but to use it prior to sizing requires your sizing die to be in station 2. Most AP are designed to deprime on station 1. But if you deprime for wet cleaning it will work for you. n

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger
August 13, 2018, 09:55 AM
rduckwor
Don't laugh, but I dump 25-35 into a gallon Zip-Loc and spray them with PAM no-stick cooking spray. All my rifle cases get this before full-length resizing. I have had one stuck case in my years.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
August 13, 2018, 11:37 AM
1967Goat
I use Dillon case lube. The instruction on the bottle literally say, "...use on a cookie sheet stolen from your spouse..." Big Grin
August 13, 2018, 12:22 PM
fredj338
quote:
Don't laugh, but I dump 25-35 into a gallon Zip-Loc and spray them with PAM no-stick cooking spray. All my rifle cases get this before full-length resizing. I have had one stuck case in my years.

How do you get the PAm off after??? I use OneShot because it doesn;t need to be removed or if one wants, a simple roll in a towel removes it.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading
August 13, 2018, 06:38 PM
jackimoe
I use a shoebox with lid. I toss em in and spray them with either the Dillon or Frankford Arsenal case lube.. I then shake the box and turn it upside down while shaking.

Only complaint is that the case lube can cause powder to stick to and remain in the case. If you go to measure; you get a lower weight due to some powder still in the case. Easy fix--I just use a dry case for measuring. And I do tumble lightly to remove the case lube residue after loading.

I also have Unique around here if I have and larger or troublesome brass that I don't load on the Dillon progressive.
August 13, 2018, 07:41 PM
imfrogman
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
I drop about 250 cases in a gallon zip lock....2 sprays of Dillon case lube. Shake. Open the bag and let the alcohol evaporate. Dump in the case feeder. Load. Repeat.

Knock on wood.... no stuck cases.

Andrew

This

NRA Life Member
August 13, 2018, 07:49 PM
badcopnodonut!!
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
quote:

How do you get the PAm off after??? I use OneShot because it doesn;t need to be removed or if one wants, a simple roll in a towel removes it.

I remove my homemade lanolin lube by dumping the cases in a small bucket and pouring in alcohol. Slosh the bucket around for a few minutes, pour the alcohol back into its container and pour the cases out on a old blanket to dry.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.
August 14, 2018, 09:07 AM
Expert308
Dump as many as will fit onto a cookie sheet with enough room to roll them around a bit. Spray the whole thing with your favorite spray lube, roll the cases around a bit, and start cranking.
August 14, 2018, 09:34 AM
rduckwor
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
quote:

I tumble them in crushed walnut shells.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
August 14, 2018, 10:17 PM
TRshootem
Lay out a large towel on the floor, dump as many cases as it will hold in the middle, say 500 or so. Roll em all flat, with none of the case mouths sticking up to prevent lube collecting in the neck. Spray with Dillon lube or Hornady One Shot and let sit for 10 minutes or so.

Fold up the towel and use it to dump the cases in a container than can be covered or closed(5 gal bucket works). I can lube several K in 30 minutes or so and store them pre-lubed for my convenience. One shot will allow you to spend less time removing lube, the Lanolin based stuff requires tumbling in clean corn media to remove.
August 14, 2018, 10:24 PM
TRshootem
I will add that I have never rolled the cases around. After the lube is applied, some migrates around the case. Our last bulk lube session was 10K, done on a couple big bath towels and poured from the towel into plastic storage containers. I loaded them as I needed over the next couple weeks Smile Lubed with One Shot in this manner, I loaded several hundred 300 BLK today for use in a upcoming match.
August 18, 2018, 07:45 AM
WARPIG602
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
Lay out a large towel on the floor, dump as many cases as it will hold in the middle, say 500 or so. Roll em all flat, with none of the case mouths sticking up to prevent lube collecting in the neck. Spray with Dillon lube or Hornady One Shot and let sit for 10 minutes or so.

Fold up the towel and use it to dump the cases in a container than can be covered or closed(5 gal bucket works). I can lube several K in 30 minutes or so and store them pre-lubed for my convenience. One shot will allow you to spend less time removing lube, the Lanolin based stuff requires tumbling in clean corn media to remove.

How long have you stored brass ready to lube? Curios as to how long it lasts?

August 18, 2018, 10:47 AM
TRshootem
The Dillon type lube is Lanolin based, I have left some PMC .223 brass lubed in a gallon ziplock bag for over a year. The lube was lightly applied and brass dumped in and forgotten. The One Shot lubed stuff has also been stored for at least that long without issue. Lanolin will feel a bit more 'sticky', after storing but works fine.

I use the 'towel' as mentioned because it worked. A friend uses some plastic sheeting cut to a size he likes. I guess the point is that you can pe-lube brass and store just as you would with processed brass. Clean in bulk, lube and store and use as needed. Once fired LC and other .mil crimped brass of course adds the primer pocket reaming step.
August 18, 2018, 01:21 PM
WARPIG602
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
The Dillon type lube is Lanolin based, I have left some PMC .223 brass lubed in a gallon ziplock bag for over a year. The lube was lightly applied and brass dumped in and forgotten. The One Shot lubed stuff has also been stored for at least that long without issue. Lanolin will feel a bit more 'sticky', after storing but works fine.

I use the 'towel' as mentioned because it worked. A friend uses some plastic sheeting cut to a size he likes. I guess the point is that you can pe-lube brass and store just as you would with processed brass. Clean in bulk, lube and store and use as needed. Once fired LC and other .mil crimped brass of course adds the primer pocket reaming step.

Perfect. I tend to do things in bulk and this is good info to know.

August 19, 2018, 04:30 PM
AZSigs
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
I line them up and spray with one shot.
+1

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor