SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Best powder for 338LM

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Best powder for 338LM Login/Join 
posted
So I just picked up a 338 Lapua and now I need to pick a powder to feed it. I've read great things about H1000 and good about retumbo but it's apparently a bit dirtier. Any other powders I should look into?

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have been loading for a 338RUM, nearly identical to the 338LM. I have tried Retumbo, RL25, 7828, and 7977. Of those, I have been most pleased with 7977. It fills the case up nicely without the need to compress a 250grn bullet, and it is very clean.

I haven't tried RL26 or 33. I did get a good deal on some RL23 and was considering giving that a go, but have been so pleased with 7977 that I think I'll stick with it, notwithstanding it being a bit more expensive. I didn't start shooting 338's because I was looking for a bargain. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I may have to try that 7977 out. Seems like everyone only has 1 lb cans here so I should be able to try a few. Or I may break down and order online.

posted Hide Post
I like Vihtavuori N165 for 338 LM..... Solid results in the past.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

posted Hide Post
Thanks