SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Looking for a progressive loader to keep up with demand.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a progressive loader to keep up with demand. Login/Join 
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
I would also recommend a 650. Run it for a while without the case feeder. If you decide you want more production, then get the case feeder.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great advice. I did the same thing. I could never go to a 550 from the 650 now because i'm spoiled.

I dick around a bit when I load and average about 400 rounds in an hour. That's a very slow pace compared to most.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
In a word "DILLON"

I have used a 550b for over 20 years... it has produced thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo during that time...

A few parts have worn out during the time I have had the 550b, but that is not really an issue... Dillon replaces them promptly at no cost. I bought the high mortality parts kit for my 550b which is well worth the money... when something breaks I order a free replacement from Dillon and they replace the part from the parts kit... when the new part arrives it goes into the parts kit for future use.

I have added the after market light that works through the storage hole in the top of the tool head... a great add on IMHO. I also have added the little ($0.75 ea. at Home Depot) to all my powder measures... something Dillon should add given the tiny cost.

One thing I like about the 550b is the fact it is less automated than some others... this allows me much better control over the quality of the ammo I produce... something I like a lot... I don't try to produce as much ammo as I possibly can per hour... I would rather slow down a bit and exercise really tight control over the ammo produced.

All in all I could not be happier with the 550b...

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cxm:
In a word "DILLON"

I have used a 550b for over 20 years... it has produced thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo during that time...

A few parts have worn out during the time I have had the 550b, but that is not really an issue... Dillon replaces them promptly at no cost. I bought the high mortality parts kit for my 550b which is well worth the money... when something breaks I order a free replacement from Dillon and they replace the part from the parts kit... when the new part arrives it goes into the parts kit for future use.

I have added the after market light that works through the storage hole in the top of the tool head... a great add on IMHO. I also have added the little ($0.75 ea. at Home Depot) to all my powder measures... something Dillon should add given the tiny cost.

One thing I like about the 550b is the fact it is less automated than some others... this allows me much better control over the quality of the ammo I produce... something I like a lot... I don't try to produce as much ammo as I possibly can per hour... I would rather slow down a bit and exercise really tight control over the ammo produced.

All in all I could not be happier with the 550b...

FWIW

Chuck

What is this $0.75 part you added?

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you've made your purchase choice yet, D4Heavy, but I wouldn't discount the new RCBS Pro Chucker 5 or 7. I know there are a lot of "blue" fans here and I don't blame them...I just don't have that kind of cabbage lying around. Here are a couple of vids from Gavintoobe show-casing the Rock Chucker 7, which is what I would get based on my current experience with my Pro 2000 5-stage Auto Progressive...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
dillion 650 or the 1050 if money is no object I have a 650 and it really cranks them no issues with it great machine great company

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Dillon isn't looking like much of an option for me, so I'm looking at going back to lee or trying out another brand.

While I can afford $450-550 for a solid progressive, I can't justify spending $600 plus another $200 in shipping. None of the stores up here stock anything for dillon. RCBS, Hornady, & Lee are everywhere, including cabelas and sportsman's warehouse...the two stores I have reasonable access to.

What do people think about the hornady progressive? I'm seeing Hornady turn out some pretty good looking reloading products lately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I understand the $200 shipping seeing the Kenai River in your profile line. Yike$!

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 86 | Location: Pennsylvania - for awhile... | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dillon isn't looking like much of an option for me, so I'm looking at going back to lee or trying out another brand.

How much money do you have to spend, how good are you at solving problems and is it fun to you, how many rounds a year do you intend to load?

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

While I can afford $450-550 for a solid progressive, I can't justify spending $600 plus another $200 in shipping. None of the stores up here stock anything for dillon. RCBS, Hornady, & Lee are everywhere, including cabelas and sportsman's warehouse...the two stores I have reasonable access to.

What do people think about the hornady progressive? I'm seeing Hornady turn out some pretty good looking reloading products lately.

200 in shipping vs having a loader that works cheapest 200 dollars you will ever spend.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

I've had Hornady's progressive for several years and it's been a very good press for me. I did finally add a Dillon 650 because I wanted to see what I was missing with blue. IMO the Dillon is a better, smoother machine but that doesn't mean the Hornady's a slouch by comparison. I'd be very surprised if you weren't very happy with the Hornady if you take the time to get it dialed in.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've loaded my own ammunition since the early '60's, mostly on a single stage press until I broke down and bought a Dillon 550B ten years ago. Since then I've added a 2nd 550B allowing me to keep one set up for Large primers and the other for small. A real savings in set up time while switching calibers. Both presses are used exclusively for handgun loading.

I don't participate in any of the handgun shooting sports currently in vogue, but did compete in NRA bullseye at one point. I still shoot a lot, probably 10,000 rounds a year here on our farm in KY, so a single stage press would be out of the question. The Dillon's serve my needs nicely, produce match grade rounds at a rate of 200 per hour. Dillon's customer service is 2nd to none and can be reached on a phone!!!

HTH's Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using the RCBS Pro V for a couple of months now and after some setup issues and minor modifications, it works pretty well. It can produce match grade ammo as fast as a Dillon (without the auto feed stuff of course!) as I shoot USPSA most of the time. It is capable of rifle sized loading at speed as well.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this unit. Just needs a bit of tweeking before you crank it up.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I've had my LNL for 10 years now and it's been fantastic.

I have three bullet feeder dies and use a tube to feed them, so I didn't need to buy the electric hopper.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Buy the Dillon and you'll only cry once.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I got my Dillon on Black Friday last year, it was a very good price. Check around next week and be ready to pounce.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I think the OP has left the building..... Smile

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Mostly interested in .45 acp and have been toying with the idea of a Star progressive.

Been reloading for 32 years on a Rock Chucker.

I have recently seem to have an interest in vintage reloading equipment.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Dillon / Hornady / RCBS
Ford / Chevy / Dodge

I started with a single stage RCBS Reloader Special (sort of a smaller Rock Chucker) something like 35 years ago, and I still load all of my .308 and 6.5CM match ammo on that same press. It's never given me a lick of trouble. I also have a Dillon 450 that I've upgraded with the 550 frame kit so I can use the interchangeable toolheads. Otherwise it's a stock RL450B. I do all of my handgun stuff on that, plus .223 plinking ammo. The only thing that's a PITA about it is changing the primer size, fortunately most of what I do on that press is all large primers so I don't have to do it very often.

On the other hand, I've driven Fords all my life, but just this year bought a shiny new Dodge to be my everyday car. Cool

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Dillon (550 owner)
and
Forster Co-Ax,

if you are ok having a pistol only press, the Square Deal B is a great press as well,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post