SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Bullet feeder and primer tube filler questions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet feeder and primer tube filler questions? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m looking at a minimum getting a primer tube filler from Dillon to keep the primer tube filled up. Are they reliable? They are expensive and I don’t want to have a bunch of flipped primers etc.

Also, on the bullet feeder, are they fairly simple to use? Loading heavy 9mm primarily.

Loading on a Dillon 650. That 1050 looks tempting now though.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I use a Mister Bullet Feeder on my 650 running 9mm and it runs flawlessly.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Uh,... when I just looked at Dillon's offering a primer tube filler was $345. That can't be what you are talking about.

I don't use a bullet feeder on my 650, so I can't offer advice on that.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I believe the Dillon tube filler works, but i have no experience with it... you can buy a whole lot of primer tubes for the cost of the Dillon set up... gives me something mindless to do while i watch tv.

The bullet feeder is a great addition. It is caliber specific and the conversion kits are pricey... i basically use it on 40 and just do 9mm the old fashioned way. It saves me about 90 seconds per 100 on my 650. It does take some tweaking to get the ramp, the angle of the dangle, and all that other jazz tuned for your specific bullet... but once you do that, it is good to go until you change bullets and have to readjust everything. I hate that I waited so long to get it. It is quality.

How many rounds a year are you loading?

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the Dillon Primer filler for over ten years.

Couldn’t live without it.

Bit of fiddling to get running successfully but then it runs forever.

I get a flipped primer every 500 or so but catch it on priming. Feels different. If you’re really anal you could watch for a flipped primer as it loads the tube.

Buy once. Cry once.

Posts: 39 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I started in earnest in January/February and I’m at about 3,000 this year, I’m on track for 6,000 by summers end. Not a lot compared to some of course. I’m hoping for 10,000 next year.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I started in earnest in January/February and I’m at about 3,000 this year, I’m on track for 6,000 by summers end. Not a lot compared to some of course. I’m hoping for 10,000 next year.

Honestly, at that volume, I’m not sure I’d spend the money on either...

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
This is 100 rounds on one of my 650’s with a GSI bullet feeder, loaded in under 4 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl63cR9Y_Y0&t=2s

If your cheap the vibraprime can get the job done quicker than pecking them up one at a time and go on sale for $25 every now and then.

That said the Dillon fills the tube while you get back to loading. I load around 20 rounds by the time the Dillon shuts off.

This is both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WTZ-_v6Mks

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Personally, I find using the primer pick up tubes, while somewhat tedious, a welcome break from reloading. I load enough tubes to do 500 rounds, and then it is nice to sit down for a little while. If you are doing high volume, it might be worth the expense. My fellow shooters who have the automatic filler are very pleased with them.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post