SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Reloading Inventory app discussion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Inventory app discussion Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Number of different powders you have?5

Number of different bullets you have (same weight by different manufacturers counts as different bullets)? 1 I stick with one bullet for each caliber, 38 & 357 are all 158 grain...etc

Number of different primers (same size by different manufacturers counts as 2 different primers)? 3 but to be real, I buy what I can find and don't sweat it too much

Number of calibers you load for?38,357,223,9mm,40,380,308,243,44 & 17hornet

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
There is a new version of the app that's been released.

Also, the name has been changed to "Reloading Inventory" to make it easier to find in the play store.

This new version includes improved workflows for viewing bullets and ammo, and adds the ability to sort them by a couple different fields.

Lastly, and one of the features in this release that excites me most, is context menus were added to ammo to change the workflow. One of the buttons on the context menu is "Shoot". When you go to the range and shoot up 100 of your 500 loaded rounds, you click "Shoot" in the app, then enter 100 for the number of rounds fired, and it reduces your inventory of that round by 100. Then, it asks how many pieces of brass were retrieved (auto-fills with the same as the number that were shot). Lastly, it allows you to auto-increment the number of times that brass has been fired - VERY handy for rifle shooters!

If you have an Android, and haven't checked it out yet, give it a look!

https://play.google.com/store/...s.reloadersinventory

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
Just saw your (at least I'm assuming it was you) post on Wes Sage's FB page. I remembered at that point you were working on this. Quick question, and it may have been addressed already and I just missed it. I only have an iPhone, so I can't download it yet. Does this only track number of components or is there a function that tracks cost of those components as well?

It does not track cost, no. A handful of people have asked for that, including a couple in this thread as well as one beta tester, but no one yet can tell me how they would want to handle multiple costs for the same item.

I wrote a database way back in the 90's that did what you are doing with this app. I was using Paradox 7.

I tracked costs by having the database generate a hidden tracking code for each component, basically a code generated from the item and date. For example, if the bullet was a Hornady 165g interlock that I purchased on 6/1/1995, the code would be 19950601H3040. I typically date my components with a marker, so when those bullets were used, the database would ask for the purchase date and type, so it could find the lot without me having to enter the code. I wouldn't even know the component code, since it was hidden and only used as an index field. When the bullets were purchased, the price was entered, so the cost could be retrieved at the time of loading. The code could also be hashed to generate an average cost for a particular component.

The database would generate cost data when I reloaded, broken down by component used, and also give me costs when I shot them. Btw, the reloads had to have a tracking number, like a lot number, after assembly.

I so wish I still had that database today. I didn't take backups as seriously back in the day. Frown

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
quote:
Just saw your (at least I'm assuming it was you) post on Wes Sage's FB page. I remembered at that point you were working on this. Quick question, and it may have been addressed already and I just missed it. I only have an iPhone, so I can't download it yet. Does this only track number of components or is there a function that tracks cost of those components as well?

It does not track cost, no. A handful of people have asked for that, including a couple in this thread as well as one beta tester, but no one yet can tell me how they would want to handle multiple costs for the same item.

I wrote a database way back in the 90's that did what you are doing with this app. I was using Paradox 7.

I tracked costs by having the database generate a hidden tracking code for each component, basically a code generated from the item and date. For example, if the bullet was a Hornady 165g interlock that I purchased on 6/1/1995, the code would be 19950601H3040. I typically date my components with a marker, so when those bullets were used, the database would ask for the purchase date and type, so it could find the lot without me having to enter the code. I wouldn't even know the component code, since it was hidden and only used as an index field. When the bullets were purchased, the price was entered, so the cost could be retrieved at the time of loading. The code could also be hashed to generate an average cost for a particular component.

The database would generate cost data when I reloaded, broken down by component used, and also give me costs when I shot them. Btw, the reloads had to have a tracking number, like a lot number, after assembly.

I so wish I still had that database today. I didn't take backups as seriously back in the day. Frown

I see what you're saying, but given that users aren't asked to enter information, but rather pick it from existing information they've already entered, I'm not sure if that workflow would work.

For example, you enter your bullets, and primer, and powder, and brass.

Then, when you define a load, you are presented with dropdown lists for the above 4 components for the load. Then you add powder quantity, OAL, and the quantity of rounds that you loaded. That number of primers, brass, and bullets are then deducted from inventory based on the items you chose, and the math is done on the powder and it is deducted as well.

Brass is differentiated not only by lot number, but also by times fired. Bullets are differentiated by lot number, same with powder and primers.

Assuming, of course, that the user wants to enter all that data. The finer details are not required, since many people don't care about that type of stuff, or the data simply doesn't exist (ie, pistol brass - I couldn't even tell you how many times it's been fired, let alone any lot numbers. Hell, manufacturers are all mixed together even!).

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I see what you're saying, but given that users aren't asked to enter information, but rather pick it from existing information they've already entered, I'm not sure if that workflow would work.

Then, when you define a load, you are presented with dropdown lists for the above 4 components for the load. Then you add powder quantity, OAL, and the quantity of rounds that you loaded. That number of primers, brass, and bullets are then deducted from inventory based on the items you chose, and the math is done on the powder and it is deducted as well.

Brass is differentiated not only by lot number, but also by times fired. Bullets are differentiated by lot number, same with powder and primers.

Assuming, of course, that the user wants to enter all that data. The finer details are not required, since many people don't care about that type of stuff, or the data simply doesn't exist (ie, pistol brass - I couldn't even tell you how many times it's been fired, let alone any lot numbers. Hell, manufacturers are all mixed together even!).

Of course my task was easier. I only had one user, and I knew his exact requirements. Wink

Good luck.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Of course my task was easier. I only had one user, and I knew his exact requirements. Wink

Good luck.

A most astute observation. That does make things considerably easier. This app was much easier when I was the only user, too. Big Grin

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
v2.2 is out.

The interface has been almost completely redesigned, and is much, much easier to use now. Way fewer clicks than before!

posted Hide Post
I bought just now

I am rather useless with the phone and computer but will try hard to understand and make it work for me

thanks!

Posts: 206 | Location: CT. | Registered: March 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey been playing with the app.

Seems good so far.

I am having trouble with the bullet section.

the "save" shows as a bar and covers the pistol rifle option.

I can't move it around or scroll down to choose pistol/rifle

I can't get to them

suggestions?

Thankyou!

Posts: 206 | Location: CT. | Registered: March 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T-Bohn:
Hey been playing with the app.

Seems good so far.

I am having trouble with the bullet section.

the "save" shows as a bar and covers the pistol rifle option.

I can't move it around or scroll down to choose pistol/rifle

I can't get to them

suggestions?

Thankyou!

I just updated the app the get rid of that save button and move it to an icon on the action bar. I had already had that update in the works, so it wasn't a big deal.

Please check it now and let me know if it works better on your device.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: exx1976,

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If / when you do an iOS version, I'll volunteer as a tester.

A thought: Maybe ask around and see if somebody on the forum has a spare iPhone lying around that you could borrow during development. I don't have a spare, but if I did I'd lend it to you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If / when you do an iOS version, I'll volunteer as a tester.

A thought: Maybe ask around and see if somebody on the forum has a spare iPhone lying around that you could borrow during development. I don't have a spare, but if I did I'd lend it to you.

Thanks vtail, I appreciate the sentiment. Unfortunately, the iPhone is the easy part. All Apple apps must be written on a Mac - and I'm just not willing to spend that kind of money - unless the Android version proves to be successful.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
v2.2.4 is out now.

New features added include:

Preferences! Turn the following features on/off:

auto-adjust inventory (turn off when first entering your inventory so that the loaded ammo you already have doesn't affect your component inventory)

return of brass to inventory

auto-adjust brass times fired (do you only reload pistol? Don't care about the number of times fired? Turn this off so you don't have to click "no" every time you return brass to inventory)

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
V2.3 is out. Control auto-increment of times fired for rifle and pistol brass independently.

Also includes low inventory settings & a list of what you're low on, automatically generated from the low warning thresholds that you set on each product.

Enjoy!

posted Hide Post
I know there is a notes line but a maybe a line for FPS in the ammo ?

how do I update to the newest versions??

update:

ok figured out how it updates

My first app and all...

thankyou

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
For those who prefer to try-before-they-buy, I've added a free version.

Full-featured, it does everything the paid-for version does, but it is limited to 2 bullets, 2 brass, 2 primers, 2 powders, and 2 ammo/loads.

Give it a whirl, see how much Reloading Inventory can help you keep track of stuff!

https://play.google.com/store/...oadersinventory.free

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
v2.4 is now available in the Play Store.

New features include a "Load" button on Ammo to easily increase your inventory after you finish reloading, and all-new in this version: The ability to inventory, store, sort, and view RIMFIRE AMMO! Smile

Enjoy!

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I was browsing this thread last week, when another thread popped up about PVI having 8# jugs of Varget in stock. Naturally my first thought was "Umm, how much Varget to I have at home and do I need to buy some more?" And if so, would it still be in stock by the time I found out I needed it? I had to wait until I got home from work to check on it. It would have been a less stressful afternoon if I'd had the inventory right here with me.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I was browsing this thread last week, when another thread popped up about PVI having 8# jugs of Varget in stock. Naturally my first thought was "Umm, how much Varget to I have at home and do I need to buy some more?" And if so, would it still be in stock by the time I found out I needed it? I had to wait until I got home from work to check on it. It would have been a less stressful afternoon if I'd had the inventory right here with me.

Big Grin

Exactly the kind of problem this app will solve for you. Smile

posted Hide Post
I like the addition of the rimfire!!

What is the chance of adding Factory ammo?

I have calibers that I don't reload and it would be nice if I could add that into the ammo inventory and track my quantities. Something simple!

I am really enjoying this