SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    45 (Long) Colt Dies? (was: Roll Crimp or Taper Crimp?)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 (Long) Colt Dies? (was: Roll Crimp or Taper Crimp?) Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I recently loaded some .357 with mid-range velocity for .357. It is well over .38 velocity, but no where near the max velocity for .357. These are epoxy coated bullets, which can't take maximum velocity. I gave them a mild roll crimp into the crimp groove of the bullet.

I did worry about the crimping cutting through the coating. I also wanted to make sure the bullets didn't jump any under recoil. These could be used in a lever gun, too, where the tube magazine and the action can push the bullet into the case a little.

I haven't shot them yet - we'll see how it works.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
You can roll crimp over the ogive if you like, just reduce your loads and work up.

Seat it deep? Yeah... little voice in my head is saying "I don't like that idea very much" Wink

"Seating it deep" can be a problem, or not. It all depends on your powder and its charge volume. Some powders, like Titegroup, use such a small volume of powder that it can be dangerous to use if you don't pay attention to double charges. For such, a deep seat will work, but you have to work it up to accommodate for pressure changes when you seat deeper. Other powders (WST, for example) fill the case more, and you have to be aware not of a double charge, but of a compressed charge when you seat deeper.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
You might consider the Redding micrometer adjustable taper crimp die. It is not cheap, but it is the shiznitz (did I spell that right?).

You did. They don't make one for .45 Colt._
Wouldn't it be the same as for the .45ACP? They can use the same bullets. (That's assuming, of course, that we are discussing modern .45 Colt that uses .4515 bullets, not .454 ones.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
quote:
You might consider the Redding micrometer adjustable taper crimp die. It is not cheap, but it is the shiznitz (did I spell that right?).

Wouldn't it be the same as for the .45ACP? They can use the same bullets. (That's assuming, of course, that we are discussing modern .45 Colt that uses .4515 bullets, not .454 ones.)

flashguy

Doh!

Good catch. Yeah, probably so.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
quote:

flashguy

Doh!

Good catch. Yeah, probably so.

Not the same, and the reason Redding's .45ACP micrometer taper crimp die is not listed for .45 Colt. Though they can use the same bullets, the cases are quite different. .45 Colt is strictly straight walled, same diameter all the way (0.4800"), while the .45ACP is a tapered case, from 0.4730" at the mouth to 0.4762" down at the bottom, by the ejector groove.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Re: Crimping .45 ACP vs. .45 (Long) Colt
quote:
Not the same, and the reason Redding's .45ACP micrometer taper crimp die is not listed for .45 Colt. Though they can use the same bullets, the cases are quite different. .45 Colt is strictly straight walled, same diameter all the way (0.4800"), while the .45ACP is a tapered case, from 0.4730" at the mouth to 0.4762" down at the bottom, by the ejector groove.

Very well. Thanks for the info. I'll stick with the Dillon Accu-Crimp.

Bought a Wilson case gage. Was the last one Amazon had in stock and they had the best price, so I pulled the trigger now, rather than waiting. What a Beautiful Thing for something so simple Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bought a Wilson case gage.

The shiznitz, if you reload a lot of one caliber, is the 100 round case gauge available at Ben Stoeger's Pro Shop. You gauge 100 at a time, and they are machined to match up to the Dillon cases, so you just flip it over onto a Dillon case (of course they are now upside down in the case), then flip them again into another case, and voila.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
For 45 Colt I'll be using a full-length resizing die. The case gage will only be used for setting up the crimp, as described previously.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,