SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Winchester primers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester primers Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
I started shooting IDPA this spring and recently switched small pistol primers from CCI 400 to Winchester WSP. I switched because my carry sometimes light struck the CCI's. I read that the WSP was thinner and would help with light strikes and they seem to do just that. I reload for lighter practice ammo and use this in IDPA (but they still make the Minor PF).

My P226 .40 S&W I use in IDPA never had light strike issues; but I have had a FTF in my last two matches using the WSP primers. WTF??? The primer appeared to be well struck, but gave no love; even with an extra hit. I never had that issue with CCI. Guess I'll have to buy a case of CCI. Is there a way to glance at a primer to tell if it is bad?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Have you changed the stock mainspring in your gun to something lighter?

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
I started shooting IDPA this spring and recently switched small pistol primers from CCI 400 to Winchester WSP

You lost me CCI 400 are small rifle primers.

Have you tried Federal primers? They are some of the most sensitive primers made.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:
I started shooting IDPA this spring and recently switched small pistol primers from CCI 400 to Winchester WSP

You lost me CCI 400 are small rifle primers.

Have you tried Federal primers? They are some of the most sensitive primers made.

1) My bad. I used CCI 500 small pistol primers for several years. When I ran out the last time I did bridge with some of my #400 small rifle until I ordered the Winchester. My P226 fired the #400 just fine but my carry pistol (9mm Shield) would not. Thanks for the Federal recommendation.

2) Yes, my main spring is lighter. It was part of a Grayguns action enhancement years ago and I still have the original spring. But I don't believe it's light strike.

I am asking if anyone else has had issues with Winchester WSF.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I've been lucky, no issues with CCI, Rem, or Win primers.
I bought some Fed primers just because some of my guns have very light mainsprings.
Haven't needed them. (and they hog space - I hate their packaging!!)

I haven't had a dead or "unwilling" primer in easily the last 15 years. (not counting rimfire)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
On the FTF did it fire on the second attempt? If so it a problem of not setting the primer fully in the pocket. A primer has to have the anvil preloaded for them to be consistent.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
even with an extra hit

But thanks for the clue. Maybe my well-used hulls with dirty primer pockets could cause primer FTF. Several hulls show resistance inserting the primer. If I then clean the primer pocket, they set easily. I vow to hand clean ALL pistol primer pockets, just as I do rifle!

posted Hide Post
I always buy Federal primers; they are known to be softer than others

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
IF the heavy hammer strike of a 226 isn't setting them off, I would suspect they are not seated to the bottom f the pocket. Push harder, they are not going off in the press.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have found CCI primers are the hardest on the market... including the Russian primers sold a few years ago.

As a data point, my Dillon 550b instruction booklet advised against using CCI primers.

Other than CCI, I don't find any noticeable difference in primers... I use Winchester, ALCAN (now discontinued but were made by Fiocchi) Remington, Wolf, S&B, Fiocchi and Federal. Other than price I don't see any difference...

Primers seem to be very uniform and work well for me.

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post