SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Very basic question about single-stage die reset
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Very basic question about single-stage die reset Login/Join 
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted
Sorry if this has been addressed, but I looked through the threads and didn't see this --

on a single-stage press, do you have to reset the die for each session -- for example, if I'm setting up to flare the .45 ACP case mouth, I expect to misjudge a couple of cases until I get it properly dialed in, and perhaps ruin a case or two. Say a month later, I'm ready to do another run -- will the flaring dies (or seating die or whatever) retain the setting, or would I need to do the trial-and-error thing all over again?

One of the reasons I'm considering a turret rather than single stage is that it seems that with the turret, I'm not constantly removing the dies, thus maintaining the setting -- or is this a mistaken thought?

Thanks.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I use a 'turret' type press, 4 die positions.

I switch around a fair amount, so I haven't bothered to go full progressive.

Once the dies are 'set', then removed they should be very close for the next session. I for one would never trust the exact setting though. I have my calipers for COL checks. The 'flare' should be close, I often just check with a bullet.

Then of course if one changes bullets, seating needs to be adjusted.

With your setup just keep the batch numbers fairly high, like prep a lot of cases before changing over.

I gave the older Son a few handguns recently, including a Beretta 92, so I'm doing a lot of 9mm 115 grain reloads. Then I will go back to more 7.5 Swiss for the K31 rifle the other Son shoots.

One thing to add also, the dies should be cleaned & lighly lubed once in a while. That often includes taking them apart somewhat. Doing so will of course mess up all the settings you had anyway.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
If you want a single stage that retains die settings, get a coax. The lock rings and mounting system are the shit.

I did a video of it a while back, there may still be a link to it in here. Or you can search YouTube for it.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
No. Set the dies, use good lock rings, not Lee, then it is just putting dies in & out.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
You get a lock rig that won't move on the threads of the die. Once you lock them in place just thread the die down until it stops. Works the same on the CO-AX except the die is held by the lock ring vs the threads on the die.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
No. Set the dies, use good lock rings, not Lee, then it is just putting dies in & out.

^^^^^
This is spot on,I did that to mine about fifty years back Big Grin

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the patient replies. I was thinking of the turret press (Lee Classic) and using it as a single stage (nonindexing) because of the die setting issue, but now I'll broaden my search to single-stage.

Now, when you say "not Lee," does that mean replace the Lee locking rings or just stay away from Lee dies completely?

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I like to use the Hornaday lock rings. The set screws do not hit the threads like others.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady...g-Pack/dp/B001OPTMU4

I'm in the process of switching my single stage dies over to the Hornaday Lock n Load setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady...ds=hornady+lock+load

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1967Goat,

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, when you say "not Lee," does that mean replace the Lee locking rings or just stay away from Lee dies completely?

You need a lock ring, not just a jam nut. If you can't lock it to the die in one position it won't work.

That said you can use two nuts and lock them together but it's easier to just get a lock ring that is like a split set collar or threaded for a set screw.

FWIW I have a Lee universal decapper I just threw way the oring, drilled and tapped the nut for a set screw and locked it in place, works fine.

As goat mentioned there are also "quick" change setups that used various bushings they use some fraction of a revolution and the die is unlocked. Some have positive locks like the Lee breech lock, detent plunger the Hornadys just use friction from an oring. The co-ax uses a ball and spring.

These are all dies that have been previously set and settings remain the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3AGbx5YVZk

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Just buy a six pack of the Hornady lock rings and screw them onto your Lee dies, replacing the Lee jam nut that uses the rubber o-ring.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
on a single-stage press, do you have to reset the die for each session -- for example, if I'm setting up to flare the .45 ACP case mouth, I expect to misjudge a couple of cases until I get it properly dialed in, and perhaps ruin a case or two. Say a month later, I'm ready to do another run -- will the flaring dies (or seating die or whatever) retain the setting, or would I need to do the trial-and-error thing all over again?

No, not if you lock the lock ring position down after tightening the lock ring down (need a split-ring lock ring, where you turn the cross bolt to lock it to the die body).

Now, I have NEVER flared a case to the point of ruining it and, for .38 Special wadcutters, I purposely flare more than most would ever consider and it doesn't ruin the case.
These sorts of comments make me think that too many newbies are reading too much on the internet and not reading enough, if any, real manuals or reloading books.
Get yourself "ABCs of Reloading" and, if you want to load for handguns, "Handloading for Handgunners" on Amazon.

Currently, you have the good fortune of having a minimum of three excellent single-stage presses you could purchase:
1) Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press: excellent and inexpensive press with the Lee Breech Lock Quick Change die system (commonly called die bushings). With this system, you simply remove the die bushing and it and the die come out without changing the die setting at all.
2) Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press: a bit more money, but a classic design. Comes set-up for Lock-N-Load Bushings (again, commonly called die bushings). Again, once set, they are set for life or you decide to fine-tune it.
3) Forster Co-Ax: Arguably the best single-stage press that takes standard dies. This press comes with a slot the die goes into (so, you set it in the slot with the lock ring bolt facing you, run a case into the die, and, with the case in the die, lock the bolt down) so you never have to do anything to it once it is adjusted correctly and you don't buy a bushing for every die. It even comes with an improved universal shell holder that fits every standard cartridge case.
So, no, if you buy the right press, you never need to re-adjust a die body again.
However, you will need to adjust the seating stem in the seating die as you change bullets.
PS: There are some folks who love turrets. To me, they just seemed like a way to store your dies on a press instead of in a nice clean closed drawer. At least with the Lee Turrets and auto-indexing, you can produce a loaded round with every 3-4 pulls of the handle.

Posts: 161 | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post