SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Moly coated bullets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moly coated bullets? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
I saw Sierra Matchking 175 gr bullets for sale that say "Moly coated"?

Why?
Good. Bad? "Not in my barrel!"?

Edit: I have inadvertently stumbled upon one of those "Black Hole" threads due to lack of Google searching. My search now shows that this is a subject that will never have consensus and leads nowhere.

Mods, feel free to lock this thread before anyone gets hurt. Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Not in my barrel!

Start with them ,you stick with them or scrub your barrel till you are blue in the face to remove the deposit

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

You are just dying to start running down a bunch of rabbit holes.....

My opinion only - avoid moly. It is a can of worms you don't want.

Go and shoot/reload for a year and enjoy the learning curve. Focus on fundamentals of both. Details and nuance will show up on their own.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
El Cid-

You may be right. I am mostly trying to avoid land mines while peeking into rabbit holes Smile

More than anything, I am hoping to avoid a costly mistake that's not easily fixed.

Buying moly coated bullets, because they are cheaper by .02/ea, without knowing how they are different from normal bullets sounds like a costly mistake that is not easily fixed.
Land mine avoided! It's a good day Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
El Cid-

You may be right. I am mostly trying to avoid land mines while peeking into rabbit holes Smile

More than anything, I am hoping to avoid a costly mistake that's not easily fixed.

Buying moly coated bullets, because they are cheaper by .02/ea, without knowing how they are different from normal bullets sounds like a costly mistake that is not easily fixed.
Land mine avoided! It's a good day Smile

Bruce

I used moly-coated bullets for a long time, for very specific purposes. I even moly-coat my bullets myself. I did that for my .223 F-TR rifle which I was pushing to massive overloads.

When I switched to the .308 in F-TR, I eschewed the use of moly-coated bullets and looked to longer barrels to help get the desired velocity.

For a long-time now, my comment has been that if you have to ask about using moly-coated bullets, they are not for you.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Found them a real mess to load. Stopped after the one box.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I processed my own moly coated varmint and match bullets for several years. While they were a bit messy to handle, accuracy was excellent. Much of the naysayers were the folks that also applied wax as a final coat. This is were the hard carbon ring in the barrel they dealt with occurs. I never had that issue, simply stopped using moly due to my travel schedule eating up my loading time. Honestly, my .22-250 loads were more accurate with moly, as were others in the .22 caliber. In all, I think done right, it works. Barrel quality is a factor, and it sure seems that today's good barrels are better than some of the best we've seen in the past.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post