SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Moly coated bullets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moly coated bullets? Login/Join 
posted
I saw Sierra Matchking 175 gr bullets for sale that say "Moly coated"?

Why?
Good. Bad? "Not in my barrel!"?

Edit: I have inadvertently stumbled upon one of those "Black Hole" threads due to lack of Google searching. My search now shows that this is a subject that will never have consensus and leads nowhere.

Mods, feel free to lock this thread before anyone gets hurt. Smile

Bruce

"I cannot spare this man. He fights!"
-Abraham Lincoln

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats."
-PJ O'Rourke
“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Posts: 3046 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Not in my barrel!

Start with them ,you stick with them or scrub your barrel till you are blue in the face to remove the deposit

Posts: 21736 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

You are just dying to start running down a bunch of rabbit holes.....

My opinion only - avoid moly. It is a can of worms you don't want.

Go and shoot/reload for a year and enjoy the learning curve. Focus on fundamentals of both. Details and nuance will show up on their own.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 515 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
El Cid-

You may be right. I am mostly trying to avoid land mines while peeking into rabbit holes Smile

More than anything, I am hoping to avoid a costly mistake that's not easily fixed.

Buying moly coated bullets, because they are cheaper by .02/ea, without knowing how they are different from normal bullets sounds like a costly mistake that is not easily fixed.
Land mine avoided! It's a good day Smile

Bruce

"I cannot spare this man. He fights!"
-Abraham Lincoln

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats."
-PJ O'Rourke
“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Posts: 3046 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
El Cid-

You may be right. I am mostly trying to avoid land mines while peeking into rabbit holes Smile

More than anything, I am hoping to avoid a costly mistake that's not easily fixed.

Buying moly coated bullets, because they are cheaper by .02/ea, without knowing how they are different from normal bullets sounds like a costly mistake that is not easily fixed.
Land mine avoided! It's a good day Smile

Bruce

I used moly-coated bullets for a long time, for very specific purposes. I even moly-coat my bullets myself. I did that for my .223 F-TR rifle which I was pushing to massive overloads.

When I switched to the .308 in F-TR, I eschewed the use of moly-coated bullets and looked to longer barrels to help get the desired velocity.

For a long-time now, my comment has been that if you have to ask about using moly-coated bullets, they are not for you.

Posts: 2834 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Found them a real mess to load. Stopped after the one box.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5109 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I processed my own moly coated varmint and match bullets for several years. While they were a bit messy to handle, accuracy was excellent. Much of the naysayers were the folks that also applied wax as a final coat. This is were the hard carbon ring in the barrel they dealt with occurs. I never had that issue, simply stopped using moly due to my travel schedule eating up my loading time. Honestly, my .22-250 loads were more accurate with moly, as were others in the .22 caliber. In all, I think done right, it works. Barrel quality is a factor, and it sure seems that today's good barrels are better than some of the best we've seen in the past.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post