SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Metal tumbling media question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metal tumbling media question Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
I’m finally getting a rotary tumbler and am obviously getting stainless media but see a dizzying array of media configurations. Also some deals with “irregular” pin sized stuff. What is the best all around size for all brass sizes? Does it matter? If specifics help, I’ll be turning 45-79, .223, .44, and .357 mag.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the pins offered seem to adhere to these specs: "Stainless Steel Tumbling Media Pins - 0.047" Diameter, 0.255" Length". That's what mine are and they don't get stuck in primer pockets (which is really nice compared to all the walnut chips that did before I switched to SS).

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Get the chips from Sleeping Giant Brass. I use theirs and they look like tiny grains of rice with flat edges that really get into places and don't get stuck in the case necks. I bought 5 pounds.

https://www.sleepinggiantbrass...nless-tumbling-media

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Get the chips from Sleeping Giant Brass. I use theirs and they look like tiny grains of rice with flat edges that really get into places and don't get stuck in the case necks. I bought 5 pounds.

https://www.sleepinggiantbrass...nless-tumbling-media

Tony.

I really like the looks of this media. How are you using it, Tony? Wet or dry tumble?

Looks like it might work much better on 223 brass than the pins. Case neck brass can really be a pain with pins.

Posts: 94 | Location: Michiana | Registered: September 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
. . . If specifics help, I’ll be turning 45-79, .223, .44, and .357 mag.

Since you plan on 223, you might want to look at the media benny6 linked. (Just ordered some for myself) Pins have not been a happy experience for me with 223.

Posts: 94 | Location: Michiana | Registered: September 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Pins in 223 do get jammed up inside the case....I’d be interested in how Bennys stuff works.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I use mine wet in my Thumler's Tumbler. It works fantastic, but I've only used it on 308 brass so far.

I'll try and process some 5.56 brass this week and I'll let you know how it works.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post