SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Decapping Die Recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decapping Die Recommendation Login/Join 
posted
Recently snapped a Lyman decapping die. Never was impressed with the quality of this die.

Anyone have a recommendation for a decapping die .223 thru 338 LM??

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I am retired and time is more valuable to me than ever,
that said my way is they get decapped when they are all greased up and in the sizing die..then to the little crow station for trim,champer and chaffing to the tumbler again.
Yes its a bitch picking the primer holes.Least you can handle brass the better your time is spent
Pistol brass get just loaded on the 550 after it has been tumbled.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have universal decapping dies from Redding and RCBS. I don't use them much anymore as I decap during resizing. just like 45 Cal does.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I decap ... then wet, stainless tumble.

This way everything is spotless or nearly so.

My OCD is the cause of this. But, I've had SD as low as 1.4 for a 10 round group. But generally my SD are in the 6-9 range.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Understood.

To salve your OCD, I would definitely recommend the Redding Universal Decapping Die.

Unfortunately the small decapping die is limited to cases no longer than 2.625inch and I believe the 338LM is 2/724inch.

The large decapping dies will not accept the .223 Remington as the smallest neck diameter it allows is 25 caliber.

You can buy the kit that has both dies:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/prod...s-_-Redding-_-597441

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
This is a good example of an area where a Lee is just fine. I have no idea what $45 worth of Redding does that $11 of Lee doesn't do WRT pushing a pin through a primer hole. The Lee pins are built like a tank, and if you do manage to break them, a new punch is less than $3.

Unless it's just about keeping all things Lee off the bench. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

That's a laudable goal in itself.

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I went with the Hornady decapping die for two reasons:

1) On the interwebz, I couldn't decipher if the Lee model was capable of doing .308Win due to the die body length
    2) most everything else on my bench is in red flavor

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a good example of an area where a Lee is just fine. I have no idea what $45 worth of Redding does that $11 of Lee doesn't do WRT pushing a pin through a primer hole. The Lee pins are built like a tank, and if you do manage to break them, a new punch is less than $3.

On the rare occasion when I need to just pop out a primer, the Lee does the job.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I have an RCBS that I use when I have mass quantities of dirty pistol cases before I clean them up in a tumbler to appease my OCD for pretty brass cases.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
From a quick search outside SF, it looks like the Lee die won't work without the die body being reamed a bit.

I see the Sinclair decapping die being mentioned for the .338LM

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
I have 2 different ones. The first one I got was RCBS. It has a spring loaded plunger that kicks the spent primers away. The only problem with it is that The spring is not the right one for this application. It's too weak and takes a set. The fix is to cut a AR spring down to fit, problem solved. This die will not do the 223, so I ended up buying a Horandy one that would. The Hornady is large enough to handle your big rife magnums.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
Another for the Lee universal decapper, no need to over think this one.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
quote:

NAW! We're talking decapping here, not building the space shuttle. Smile

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
quote:

RMD

In fact we are building something much more critical; ammo that generates 25tons PSI next to your face.

If you do not use the best tool to pop off that pesky spent primer before seating a new one, there is no telling what nasty consequences may befall you.

Well, that plus I don't like Lee tools.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
From a quick search outside SF, it looks like the Lee die won't work without the die body being reamed a bit.

I see the Sinclair decapping die being mentioned for the .338LM

I use mine to decap 338RUM. Is LM much larger in the body than Ultra Mag? Because the Lee punch is a solid, one piece bar, it is easy to have the punch extend way below the die, provided your press has the reach. I'm sure since 338LM is the cartridge, the press is a Boss or something larger than a Jr.

For what it's worth, your case count probably isn't very high when you load 338LM. When I load 338RUM, I never do more than about 20 at a sitting. Therefore, you could do your decapping with a $3 Lee pin and a mallet. That would be just as fast and by far the cheapest. That is how I decap my 416 Rigby. No worry about hurting the cases. I baby those 416 cases like they're my children. They're that expensive.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

RMD

In fact we are building something much more critical; ammo that generates 25tons PSI next to your face.

If you do not use the best tool to pop off that pesky spent primer before seating a new one, there is no telling what nasty consequences may befall you.

Finding a Lee tool on NikonUser's bench would be similar to that episode of Big Bang Theory where Sheldon gets drunk and wakes up panicked and ashamed in the morning after having spent the night reading a geology textbook. His standards are simply that high. Smile

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee Universal decapping die for crimped ammunition. That's the only Lee tool I own and it works flawlessly. I've busted more decapping pins than I care to admit trying to reload mil surplus cases.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:

I use mine to decap 338RUM. Is LM much larger in the body than Ultra Mag? ...

From google pic schematics, it looks like .338LM is 0.588", and the .338RUM is 0.580"

quote:
Posted at Lee website:
Lee Decapping Die, no cleaning or lubing of cases necessary. Even removes crimped primers. Fits cases up to .560" in diameter and up to 3.125" long.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

RMD

Finding a Lee tool on NikonUser's bench would be similar to that episode of Big Bang Theory where Sheldon gets drunk and wakes up panicked and ashamed in the morning after having spent the night reading a geology textbook. His standards are simply that high. Smile

Ah yes, geology; the duffus of sciences right down there with climatology.

Someone gave me a set of Lee dies eons ago, when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Using a hammer, it put the dies to good use pounding pilot holes in the soft dirt for wooden tomato stakes. I've since moved from that house and it was in another state but I believe I left the dies in the dirt the last time I used them. I wonder if they are still there. That would be almost 30 years ago.