SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Decapping Die Recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decapping Die Recommendation Login/Join 
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It only decaps, just about any die will do. I use a RCBS, but a nail & hammer works.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
It only decaps, just about any die will do. I use a RCBS, but a nail & hammer works.

Agreed, just don't mess up the flash hole.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
Just about any brand of dies can have a broken pin if everything isn't bolted down tightly...

For my money Redding makes the best dies, with Lyman and RCBS not far behind. For a Dillon press the Dillon dies are the ones to have.

FWIW

Chuck

quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Recently snapped a Lyman decapping die. Never was impressed with the quality of this die.

Anyone have a recommendation for a decapping die .223 thru 338 LM??

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
The Lee Universal is good to go. I have used one for many years and rounds. Works for steel case and brass case, cost effective and the pin can easily be replaced if broken. No one brand of dies is without issues, some are just better than others. I prefer used, in like new condition and inexpensive so color is not a preference of the box, neither is the material of the box. It is about what works and cost.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weekendshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm using a RCBS universal decapping die. With the exception of snapping a few pins, I've decapped over 50,000 rounds. The snapped pins were because of off center primer holes. I'm well satisfied.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Eastern PA now and missing Western PA | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I really like my Dillion decapper.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Late to the show, but my Lee Universal Depriming and Decapping Die has served me well for 5.56/.223 and all pistol brass.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ng-and-decapping-die

Replacement pin in case it breaks (BTDT)...

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...nd-decapping-die-pin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
Send Lee a photo of the broken pin and they will send you a new one.

None of their pistol dies incorporate an expander with the decapping pin so any of them will work as a spare until the new one gets to your door.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Lee Decapping die is what I use. It works great and is inexpensive. I prefer to decap before cleaning my brass.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for lee. I have several and never a failure. I think they will repair/replace free, if it does break, you may want to check on that.

davemercer

Posts: 936 | Location: NE USA | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the lee universal decaping die for 223 556 and 308 with no problem but some times have bent pin when doing 357 sig speers cases with small flash hole

Posts: 9 | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Lee Universal Decapper when I broke my RCBS decapping pin on my. 308 and could not beg borrow or steal RCBS parts from anyone. I also bought 3 extra decapping pins for it but have never needed them. I actually don't mind it, especially when I just want the cases decapped for cleaning. I think I spent about $20. for all of it can't say anything bad about it.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have universal decapping dies from Redding and RCBS. I don't use them much anymore as I decap during resizing. just like 45 Cal does.
Yep, me too, though it's very rare to decap separately, even crimped in military brass. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a hornady ended up bending the spindle when trying to decap military .556. Called them up sent me new spindles great customer service. They reccomended I purchase they're universal decapping die, better suited for military brass unfortunately that one was defective out of the box so I bought the frankford arsenal hand decapping tool. It works pretty good.

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread is specifically about decapping dies. I've been reloading for almost 50 years and have used most (not all) brands on occasion.

In my experience -- it's not the brand of reloading tool used, but the care and forethought used in the reloading process that makes quality, safe ammunition. I don't own a huge amount of Richard Lee's equipment. Lee is not my preferred brand. However much of their equipment works very well (and is an outstanding value).

I do own the Lee universal decapping die and 100% agree with Swage's assessment. It's an absolutely 1st rate piece of gear for removing crimped-in boxer primers.

Nikonuser why don't you tell us specifically what is wrong with the Lee universal depriming die? You've already convinced us you're a brand snob. Please convince us you "know what you't talking about" (since you don't own the Lee decapping die).

I spent my career in machine design and have a 4-yr engineering degree -- I'm really looking forward to your highly technical critique of this particular Lee product.

Edited to add: Looks like there a lot of forum members who think the Lee decapping die is "good to go". Come on Nikonuser, don't be shy --- show your a$$ some more!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post