SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What is your 9mm bullet weight choice?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your 9mm bullet weight choice? Login/Join 
posted
I have always loaded 124 gr. Bullets in 9mm, but recently thought about moving down to 115gr.
So that had me wondering which bullet weight most reloaders use for 9mm and why?

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer heavy & slow. 147gr black bullet international over 3.2 Gt of VV N320. Crawls out the barrel at 830 FPS and leaves a pile of brass right next to the ejection port.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I like to reload to Federal (FBI, ATF, etc) specs. They use 124gr loads. So, that's what I try to load for. However, my wife prefers 115gr, so I load that for her!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I really have settled on the 145/147 coated bullets. 124/125 gr lead were the shiz for years, shot well in any 9mm pistol....but the heavies are what I use for Steel Challenge and USPSA. We also have had some great results with 160/165's.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
124gr are my choice. The 115 give me a different POI with my gun.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
I prefer heavy & slow.

Same here, no matter the caliber. 147gr for 9mm.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I use a 135 grain RNFP NOE mold, and powder coat. One of the best shooting bullets I've tried yet.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
The 135's are growing on me as well. That weight in the Federal defense loading is very accurate, and my hand loaded test of Hi-Tek coated 135's has been most pleasing. We live in a great time for such supplies Smile

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I load mostly 115 FMJ bullets in 9mm brass.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
115gr, usually cheapest Copper Plated available!

Posts: 72 | Registered: January 06, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
For competition I like 147gr, easier to make power factor & recoil impulse is push instead of twist. For general practice I like 124gr, it is what I carry.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I load 98% 9mm 115gr. The other 2% 147gr for use in the suppressor.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
115 & 124 is what I primarily use.
I prefer the 124.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what's on special. I'm loading 147 grain right now, but tuesday I pick up 4,000 rounds of 124 grain. I've been doing a lot of 115 grain, largely because I'm cheap.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I stay away from 115s in commercial ammunition as well as hand loads because some of the loads have too little recoil to properly cycle the firearm

I load 124/125 grain jacketed HPs for target shooting

The Suppressed firearms get 145-165 grain projectiles.

These 158 truncated cones are a great compromise and work really well in almost all of the suppressed firearms.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I like the 135gr bullets, in this case, Blue Bullets TC profile.

Allows a little heavier bullet and easy to load for the CZ with and still be long enough to be good in the other 9mms. I had switched to 124s for a bit but now with more experience, I’m back to 135s.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use 124g and 147g.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Berrys 147

Most of the competition shooters I hang out with like the push recoil over snappy with a lighter bullet, and most of them shoot a similar load

I don't shoot enough 9 to care, so I load what they do

Shooting 147 makes my life simple if I need to borrow bullets, loaded ammo or even make use of their reloading press in an emergency, group buys also tend to work out well when everyone is on a similar page

Second choice is 124 but I need to put some effort in to work up some loads that will work as well as the 147's

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
115g fmj for plinking
124g JHP for carry
124g fmj for competition

Posts: 10828 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
115gr

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post