SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Anyone use a benchtop magnifier?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use a benchtop magnifier? Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted
Eyes are getting old so I was thinking of getting a bench top, clamp style, illuminated magnifier (LED). I see they have a range of 2.25X to 10X. Anyone use one? 2.25X, 5X, 10X?

I mainly want to use it for inspecting cases to check for cracks, signs over over pressure, etc...

Recommendations?

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using an Optivisor at my bench for many years.....plus a good light(LED) source. They come in different strengths.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Yup, I use one, although the one I have uses a regular bulb instead of an LED. I don't know the magnification power, but I'll post if I find out what it is.

I use it for the same reasons you do......aging eyes!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I wear an old pair of single vision reading glasses for reloading and other close up work. 

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a generic unit from harbor freight. It's got some goofy light duty clamps.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...ing-hands-60501.html

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
I've got some no name cheap bench top magnifier that has 2 different power. I use it mostly for reading the small print on bits/taps.... I have a good Opti-visor I use when doing fine detail work requiring good eyes. I have 3 different magnification of lens for it. I also have a special pair of glasses that is only my bi/tri focal length which gives me a boarder view of what I'm working on.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

AzCDL
War is less costly than servitude
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Posts: 71 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used an Optivisior for years. Regular reading glasses and the Optivisor above my glasses. If I need to look more closely I tilt my head and look through the #5 Optivisor lens. My Optivisor also has a loupe on it for really closeup. I don't wear glasses except to read and wear them to reload. Note that the Optivisor lens have different focusing distances. #5 works for me. I do too much inspection to have to move myself to look through a bench mounted magnifier.

Posts: 112 | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a fluorescent magnifying desk lamp available from harbor freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...ying-lamp-60643.html

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I already have a light on my bench so I got a tabletop magnifier ($13) at the local Michael's craft store.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post