SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Dilemma: Norma Golden Target bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dilemma: Norma Golden Target bullets Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
I have searched long and hard for these as they are loaded in the excellent Prime 6.5 CM ammunition and shot very well from my rifle.

Last week, I scored, both Graf's and MidSouth had these. I ordered from MidSouth and they came in today.

Visually, they are beautiful. Uniform meplats and just overall pretty to look at.

On the scale, all is not so well.

I weighed a sample of ten: High 130.28 Gr, low 129.76 Gr. Average, 129.92 ES: 0.52 GR and SD (yeah I know - small sample size) 0.175 Gr.

Now, I'm not a benchrester and I admit to OCD as all good reloaders should.

How much of an issue is this variation in weight going to be?

Thanks for all advice.

RMD

P.S. I hate sorting bullets by weight. Is that the solution?

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Normally a .5 gr has very little impact. I don't shoot competition but ±0.5 gr in bullet swing I do not see any difference. If you calculate the percentage of change it's very very low, 0.19%.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably no surprise here, never weighed bullets, never will Big Grin

I tried those Norma's in two 6.5x47, couldn't get them to shoot, .010 jam to .120 jump... Berger 130VLD's and 140 Hybrids easily shot inside them with very little work.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably no surprise here, never weighed bullets, never will Big Grin

Yeah, well, I don't usually either. Wish I hadn't!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Weighing bullets is a waste of time and money (time IS money, right?).

*IF* you're going to sort your bullets for anything, sort them by bearing surface. That will have much more effect than will anything else about the bullet.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
When I've weighed bullets I find they usually average slightly under the stated weight. That makes sense from a pressure perspective, though splitting hairs I know.

I can't see that slight weight variation mattering any.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I doubt you find any match bullet lot where they are all exactly the same wt. 1/10-1/2gr is pretty normal IME weighing diff lots. You certainly could sort by weight but try shooting 300yd groups with sorted & random & see if they vary much.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I weigh my match bullets the weight is never off more that .1 grain from the stated weight and it's most often right on.

Base to ogive is also important as that will impact the shape of the bullet, which will alter the BC. The extreme spread in the base to ogive when I measured it was .004 inch.

I don't weigh or measure the bullets anymore, just a quick sampling for a new batch, then they all get pointed which made the biggest difference for me.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post