SIGforum
Broke my Lee Classic Turret

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/3110044134

October 07, 2017, 04:10 PM
92fstech
Broke my Lee Classic Turret
I've had my LCT for 4 or 5 years now, and have loaded thousands of rounds on it. It's currently my only press. I was re-sizing some 9mm today when I heard a pop, and felt the handle give. I initially checked the handle linkage, but found nothing wrong. Then I noticed a small crack in the steel head that holds the turret. The crack opens up significantly whenever the turret is placed under any pressure (by actuating the handle).

I went out to Lee's website, and apparently they offer a 2 year warranty. I'm not exactly sure how long I've had this press, but I know it's been longer than that. I also looked for a replacement part, but that particular piece is not listed. I sent them an e-mail through the form on their website...I guess we'll see what they do.

I have been saving for an XL650...I guess maybe I should be happy that this will give me some ammunition with the wife to speed that purchase up a bit. But I wasn't planning to get rid of the LCT, either. I have a bunch of turrets for it, and planned to keep using it for calibers that I load less volume for, to save $$ on exchange kits for the 650. Does anybody have an experience with Lee customer service? Do you think they'll help me out, or am I probably SOL?

ETA Photos

October 07, 2017, 05:51 PM
C-Dubs
Wow, that's a pretty substantial piece to break.
Wonder if it has happened to others.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
October 08, 2017, 02:04 AM
miked
The part you need is apparently the "4 turret ring". It is available here for $17: https://fsreloading.com/lee-pr...n-4-turret-ring.html

I checked my press and found that the part is only mildly magnetic, probably some powder metallurgy process part like MIM. Such parts are more subject to fatigue than an identical part made from wrought steel. The apparent failure location is not surprising ... midway between mounting screws on the ram side of the ring. The is the point of maximum bending stress on the ring.

For $17 I think I'll order a spare myself. That's less than the cost of two turret plates, and I've got a gang of those.
October 08, 2017, 02:29 PM
bigedp51
It could have been possibly caused by a casting flaw. If your right arm looks like the bigger claw on a crab you might be pulling too hard. Smile

I'm still using my RCBS Rockchucker press I bought in 1973 without any problems.
October 08, 2017, 06:25 PM
NikonUser
Lee. LOL
October 09, 2017, 04:03 AM
92fstech
quote:
Originally posted by miked:
The part you need is apparently the "4 turret ring". It is available here for $17: https://fsreloading.com/lee-pr...n-4-turret-ring.html

Thanks for that...if Lee won't warranty it, I'll probably just purchase it here.

quote:
Lee. LOL

I know, I know. But if I'm honest, if it weren't for the low entry cost made possible by Lee Products, I would likely have never gotten into reloading at all. It's actually been a pretty decent press for my needs (even if not so durable). Now that I'm committed to the hobby, I'm starting to look at bigger and better stuff for different applications, but the LCT, once repaired, will likely always have a spot on my bench.
October 09, 2017, 10:09 AM
rduckwor
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
Lee. LOL

HATER!! Smile

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
October 09, 2017, 11:03 AM
92fstech
I got an e-mail from Lee this morning, and they offered a free replacement, I just had to pay shipping to my residence. From the sound of things, this is their warranty policy, so apparently they are honoring the warranty, even though my press is well outside of the two year term. Not bad, Lee...not bad at all!
October 09, 2017, 12:31 PM
NikonUser
Guys, please understand that I am NOT laughing at anyone here. I totally understand and appreciate budget constraints and priorities and so on. If Lee products, by virtue of their very low price got you into handloading, then that's a good thing. Everybody has to start somewhere and we've covered budget and priorities. I am not laughing about that.

That said, in 35+ years of handloading, I have never heard of a press breaking like yours did, especially loading the 9mm Pipsqueak. I always figured if any press would break it would be a Lee, I just never expected it to be that weak.

You can also understand my disdain of anything Lee and why I rear up when I see someone recommending Lee products.

Finally, good on Lee for sending you a replacement but RCBS or Redding and others would not have charged you the shipping costs.

Lee, cheap to the nth degree and proud of it.
October 10, 2017, 08:38 AM
Tusk
quote:
Lee. LOL

For a real laugh, look at the way RCBS handles spent primers.
October 10, 2017, 09:10 AM
45 Cal
quote:
Originally posted by Tusk:
quote:
Lee. LOL

So what is wrong with rcbs single stage.
Own a rockchucker from the sixties.
Good press and primer drop right into the ring at the bottom of the press.
The press is slow compared to my two dillons never the less it has been a trouble free joy and has used hundreds of pounds of powder.
It started its life with a keg that only lasted a year.
October 10, 2017, 09:47 AM
JimTheo
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
quote:
quote:
Lee. LOL

The press is slow compared to my two dillons never the less it has been a trouble free joy and has used hundreds of pounds of powder.

The early Rockchuckers shot the primer down a slot cut into the side of the ram, careening out to inevitably land in your sock. Don't remember the tray. Ask me how I know. Still have it though...

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either
October 10, 2017, 11:20 AM
Tusk
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
quote:
quote:
Lee. LOL

I’ve got 40 years batch reloading pistol brass on an RCBS. I finally got tired of emptying the ridiculous little tray (when it didn’t empty itself) and watching spent primers disappear into the knap of the carpet. Last year I upgraded (yes, I said upgraded) to a Lee Classic Cast single stage. I’ll always remember the first time I sat down to de-cap a bunch of empty brass. The light pouring through the windows of the gun room suddenly seemed a little bit brighter and the sounds of singing angels filled the room as I watched EVERY SINGLE SPENT PRIMER drop straight through the ram and fall into the waste can beneath my bench, each one gently guided to its final resting place by a clear vinyl tube. It brings a little tear to my eye just thinking about.