SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Nickel Brass and the Ducta-Bright 7a process?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nickel Brass and the Ducta-Bright 7a process? Login/Join 
posted
I normally get by on range pickups but a recent order from Xtreme came in and the brass on hand is way short. Shopping around for a couple K's of once fired brass in 40 cal I came across some decent deals on mixed headstamp Nickel cases.

Not committing, I read about Ducta-Bright 7a process on Underwood's site being better than previous process of nickel coating brass. Making it better for reloading. Is this Ducta-Bright 7a process used through out the industry today?

Would I be better off sticking to regular brass cases? Long term corrosion is not a concern for my use. But cases cracking and nickel flaking off would be problem with going all nickel.

Anybody reload nickel in high volume?

Thanks.
-TVz

Posts: 428 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started handloading in the early 1970s and still hard at it. I usually shoot 1-2/week.....so I go through a fair amount of ammo.

I have zero problems using nickel plated brass. I like it, especially in revolver calibers. I just have not found all of this flaking and split cases that the "Internet Experts" talk about. I do find a few split cases from time to time, as all handloaders do. I have some nickel plated cases that have been reloaded sooooo many times that most of the nickel is worn off, and the brass is showing through. They are still good to go!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I LOVE Nickel brass. I have been hand loading it since 1977

I can always find my semi-auto brass at group shoots, or in the grass outdoors.

Does it last less than unplated brass? Not significantly enough to notice. Both crack or split from time to time.

Like GT-40DOC, I also have some 357 Magnum casings that have been reloaded so many times that the nickel has been polished right off. You have to look at the head stamps to tell it was originally nickel brass.

I use 357 Magnum as an example because that was the first cartridge that I began loading for and still load to this day.

It is easy to buy once fired nickel cases in cartridges that Law Enforcement firearms are issued in. I got several 5 gall buckets full of nickel 357SIG brass off the range floor when the FAM began. Same thing with 9x19 brass or 45ACP.

Ducta-Bright 7a is just another nickel plating process. I doubt that it is close to being an Industry Standard. Among my favorite cases are the NP3 plated cases that Triton uses for the 45 SUPER and other cartridges. I also love the Black Nickel cases that Browning is using

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roadrash
posted Hide Post
I,ll bet those black nickle cases are fun to find in the grass,dirt,leaves.
They do look cool though.

Posts: 558 | Registered: May 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have been a brass hound for over fifty years.
Really love nickel.Very rarely have I run into one that flakes.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I didn't know that the black brass was actually black nickel plating. The black brass is kind of neat and I'll pick it up with any other 40 I find. But it really clashes with my copper plated projectiles Wink.

I'll stick to the regular nickel when I order.

-TVz

Posts: 428 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TVzombie:
Thanks everyone for your replies. I didn't know that the black brass was actually black nickel plating. The black brass is kind of neat and I'll pick it up with any other 40 I find. But it really clashes with my copper plated projectiles Wink.

I'll stick to the regular nickel when I order.

-TVz
As far as I know Browning is the only company loading with black nickel cases

The Eastern Block ammunition also looks black but is loaded into steel cases with a paint or polymer coating on them.

So look at the head stamp before you stat reloading them

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will do. Thanks for the heads up.

-TVz