SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    M1 garand brass....what is the best manufacture?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 garand brass....what is the best manufacture? Login/Join 
Picture of m1009
posted
What’s considered the best brass for reloading 30.06 for the Garand? We are looking to purchase some once fired, and have found that the military brass seems to be out of stock. Thinking about remington, what say you all?

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much are you looking for?

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
About 1k for now.

posted Hide Post
Keep an eye on the CMP Forum for sale page. There is almost always USGI or HXP brass for sale there.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks. But any thoughts on remington? I did find some in stock, all RP headstamp.

posted Hide Post
To be perfectly honest, I've never had the need or opportunity to reload '06 brass from any commercial maker, so I have no opinion to offer on Remington brass. Sorry.

Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
That’s ok, appreciate the honesty! We just got back into the 30.06, and didn’t realize there was such a shortage of available brass. Will keep checking cmp.

posted Hide Post
Remington brass works great for Garand loading. Winchester is ok too. I load mainly RP, LC, HXP, and a few Win cases. At Garand loading levels and pressures I use the same data for all of the above. Remington would be my 1st choice for commercial cases for a Garand.

Posts: 112 | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m1009:
That’s ok, appreciate the honesty! We just got back into the 30.06, and didn’t realize there was such a shortage of available brass. Will keep checking cmp.

Number of once fired brass places on the net. they are starting to get stock again, google once fired brass. I am not a fan of RP brass for 308. Too soft too variable dimensionally and weight wise. Military brass 7.62 is different than 308 and needs to be loaded differently. I don’t think that is the case with 3006 which is almost exclusively civilian now.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done a lot of Garand shooting and have reloaded with many different brands of brass to include RP nickel plated. Right now, and for the last couple years, I have just stuck with Greek surplus HXP. Pretty good brass and lasts a while.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Geaux Tigers
Picture of Alcapone396
posted Hide Post
Well my two cents for what it's worth..I have no experience loading the 06 for a Garand but I do have loading various Starline brass...Those folks have top quality brass and I have no complaints with their rifle or pistol offerings.
I just checked and they have the 30.06 in stock for 376.00 a thousand and the shipping is free if I'm not mistaken..Jump on the Starling train and don't look back!!! Hope this helps out! Of course you could buy Lapua for twice the price or more if you want the best out there!!
I just saw you that you're looking for once fired,,damn sorry about that buddy! I'll leave this as food for thought!!

Take care!!

Al______________Capone396

P220 Combat, P220 Sport, P220EL, X-5 Comp 9mm , P226 BlackWater, P226 ST.357 Sig, P226ST 9mm, P229ST .40, P228, P232 SL, Glock 19, CZ75BSS, CZ-83, S&W 29, S&W 640, S&W 642, Ruger MKII, Ruger Charger,, HKP7,,Browning Hi Power, Colt Anaconda, S&W 460 Mag, RRA 9mm CAR, Robinson Arms XCR, FN-SLP ,Arsenal SAS-M7,, Built AR-15 with lots of goodies,,Etc, Etc, Etc.....

Posts: 1263 | Location: Down South in Bayou Country | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Thank you all! I have heard HXP is good, but couldn’t find any when doing a search. Did find some RP, and decent price in once fired, but wanted to know if anybody had experience with it before ordering.
Appreciate all the info, very helpful.

Alcapone396, I have used Starline brass before, for the 6.8, when it first came out, yes, it’s good brass, thanks for the tip on 30.06, your input is helpful too!

Once fired is what we are looking for, got some Garands to feed, Big Grin

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
My two cents,remington is not my choice for any reloading on any caliber.
They spin it too thin in the neck area.
My go to has been winchester for forty to fifty years
Love Starline for 44 mag.
I have loaded remington for plinking on ranges , that way I don't have to pick it up.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Thanks again....might wait for HXP to become available.

posted Hide Post
I have 400 tumbled HXP and a Twin City Ordnance brass I would ship to you for $100 if you are interested

Posts: 9 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: May 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ttedb3:
I have 400 tumbled HXP and a Twin City Ordnance brass I would ship to you for $100 if you are interested

That is a pretty good deal for you. You might look in the reloading section of the sales area of the CMP forum as well.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Ttedb3, that sounds decent. My email should be in my profile. Give me a holler.

Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
357fuzz, been looking in cmp, I seem to always be late on the HXP once fired, ha. But I’ll keep looking there too. Big Grin

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Any Gun Clubs local too you? Find one which shoots High Power which may supply ammo to the shooters. Some clubs even loan rifles to new shooters. Two of the three clubs I was a Member at stocked Lake City boxed and in clips. Supplied by the CMP. I bought 6,500 once fired total for my M1s. Lubs the military brass. Dillion swager rolls away those crimps and leaves behind a pretty little radius for primer seating.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
ttedb3, I tried to reply, email bounced back. Sent a new one just now.